lexicon

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rosewood, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

With technology improving over the years is Lexicon still that much better than the lower priced delays? I'm speaking of the pcm 70, 81, 91's, those units. I've always wanted one but I'll have to let the little wife go befoer I can buy one.

2. geetarman

geetarman Member

I own a Lexicon PCM-80 and I have yet to hear anything that sounds like a Lexicon reverb or delay or has that warmth in a digital processor.

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Yeah, the Lexicon stuff is that good. The digital side may be easy, but the ANALOG side is still hard, and Lexicon's analog sections are first class.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

That's what I thought guys, there's just no topping the high$ Lexicon, or maybe a TC. I guess the wife has to go.

5. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I've got a Lexicon PCM-81 (among other Lexicon stuff) and it is a sweet piece of gear.

That said, Lexicon is not the only name in town as it concerns devices with such features at that price-point with top-shelf sound quality.

Based on my experience, you'd do yourself a favor to audition units made by Eventide, Sony, t.c. electronic, and Kurzweil in addition to Lexicon.

cheers,
    Ian

6. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Wish I had enough funds to know what a PCM 80 or 81 sounds like. That and the eventide racks as well.

I have a TC m-one. Not bad. Lexicon MPX-1. Very nice.

Heard the yamaha spx2000 is the bees knees as well.

7. johnroberts

johnroberts Member

lexicon
    With technology improving over the years is Lexicon still that much better than the lower priced delays? I'm speaking of the pcm 70, 81, 91's, those units. I've always wanted one but I'll have to let the little wife go befoer I can buy one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From my experience I think it is.

Firstly you cannot (fairly) compare the Lexicon PCM series to cheap delays.

The PCM series is not a "cheap delay" its in a class of its own. No need to sell the wife, there is the MX series which is very affordable, you could try the MX 200, MX 300 for guitar or the MPX 1 multieffects.

Kludge, as well as the analog section being good, the digital side is top class too, The A/D and D/A convertors and the algorithms are top stuff.

While the Yamaha SPX 2000 is a great unit, and adds 96kHz Sample Rate, with new reverbs and some popular programs from earlier SPX versions, it would not be particularly the best choice for a guitar unit. Unless you were thinking of a more dedicated type of unit.

Try a few models, and let us know what you think. Also you could try the appropriate TC and Kurzweil products.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

there is NOTHING like a pcm 41 delay. not a darn thing.

9. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I've traded + added funds, as my Replifex is leaving (looove Rocktron's older baby's too) and I'm getting a Lexicon MPX-g2 (basically an MPX-1 with extra guitar features)..

worth checking out 2nd hand, it's a pretty sweet tricked out Lexicon dedicated to guitarists..!

10. jstone

jstone Member

Lexicon Delays have a;ways been second choice for me. Still the TC2290 is THE DELAY of all times. PCM-80 / PCM -81 are GREAT don't get me wrong but I still actually find the newer Eventide delays above the Lexicon for delay.

PCM-80 / PCM-81 does however come with some other awesome effects that is very much to my liking and that is why I used to have 3 of them hardwired to my studio console along with a 480L and a Eventide 3000..

Times are changing but still I like the PCM-80 /81 for effects... Still I love the 2290 for delay..

Do they have the edge???

Yes.:)

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I have yet to find outboard reverb to match my PCM-91. Although I bought my unit new over 9 years ago when they first came out with the PCM-91 vs. the 90, I thought it would have more bells and whistles now at a cheaper price, but they have remained firm on pricing.

12. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

. . . . and that's why we all have different ears. i'll take a pcm41 over any other delay. . . not dissin' the TC. . . . just doesn't have that 'warmth' or the 'analog' feel of the 41, which is outstanding on vox to guitar to drums to. . . well, you get the idea. . .

13. tng

tng Member

I had a lexicon mpx-1 for a few days. I was disappointed by its sound quality a brought it back to the shop. A few weeks later I got a tc m-one which sounds better to me. It's not the highend stuff, sure but for a 400$ its quite good.

Cheers,
    tng

14. tng

tng Member

Ooops. I meant the tc D-Two for $500 (instead of the tc m-one).
    Sorry

15. peridot1

peridot1 Member

yeah I was gonna say, not the m-one. Are we talking mpx-1 or mx100?

16. Adwex

Adwex Member

I have an MPX-G2, and the delay sounds great.

The MPX-G2 has other issues, but it sounds great.

17. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The step up from a MPX-1 to a PCM 81 or 91 is significant, both in price and quality!

18. peridot1

peridot1 Member

They don't seem to sell the mpx-1 anymore. were going for $500 there for awhile. High end gear should always be more significant than mid range. 2 grand a little hard to come by for me.

19. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

You can find used PCM 80'd for 700 dollars... delay & verb....done

20. jstone

jstone Member

Sorry forgot about the PCM 41 it has been so since last I've had it but YES that sounds better on guitar than almost anything.:)