Light Break Up for a Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 37Hauser, Aug 7, 2005.

1. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

Hi everyone, I’m new to the board and was hoping to get some sound advice. I’m playing a strat through a silverface Twin Reverb with JBL’s and I’m trying to find something that will give me a light break-up sound because this amp is super super clean. I have a reissue TS9 (along with a few other distortions), but through this amp straight, I’m not that happy with it for very light overdrive. In my experience, distortion pedals straight into super clean amps just don’t do it for me, but through a slightly broken up amp tone work great. Tone wise, I’m really into Landau and Henderson, and have researched the gear they use. However they obviously use different amps than me and I would assume that has a lot to do with what effects they choose. I’ve played lots of pedals that were very amp specific. I know I need to do a lot of experimenting, but was just curious if anyone has any advice.

2. duende

duende Member

let me guess...

your playin' a '68 with D 120's?? Ha! If not, I still feel your pain!

Light break up is relative... girtty, smooth... it all depends on what you're after. Rest assured, there's many pedals that can provide different variations of this.

Here's a short list...

Klon, Tim, Red Snapper, Dirty Blonde, Varidrive, Blackstone, Dual Drive, COT50 etc...

It's easier to find a match if you turn off your bright switch. Landau, Henderson....? Hmmm sorry can't help you there, but it might be the case that you need to either swap your speakers, or get a different amp all together...

regards,

3. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Try a Barber LTD or a Fulltone FatBoost. I use each for similar purposes on different pedalboards.

The LTD will give you that lightly driven Fender tone/feel, and the FatBoost will give you a thicker tone with just a hint of breakup and will be a bit more dynamic and open feeling than the LTD (which has slightly better sustain characteristics).

The magic or the FatBoost is the way it responds to distortion pedals. It can add a more aggressive amplike quality to a TS9 type pedal depending upon how you set the gain knob. In fact, I like the FatBoost best when other pedals are driving it.

Brett

4. davebc

davebc Member

Nothing will ever replace the tone of a cranked up JBL loaded Twin imo.I used one(and two) years ago when guitars players were expected to play loud,and you didn't get hassled.

The Klon is the most transparent,and should get you there.I love mine through my Twin type amps,and others as well.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

The KLON will take your Twin into heavenly breakup teritory.. Believe me I know from experience..

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

echoing duende, I love the Dirty Blonde-6 and Dual Drive for that low-gain/clean amp task.

7. dave s

dave s Member

Same twin in my stable. Dead clean and lightning fast to deliver the tone through the speakers.

Honestly, I haven't found a pedal the twin DIDN'T like. Some that I used through the twin during gigs were a Fulldrive II, a Vintage Rat RI (mostly for higher gain tones) a Keeley moded Boss DS-1 (again--higher gain stuff) a TIM pedal (used for what you are talking about) and a ZIM pedal.

The twin sounded great with all of them. Again, the TIM pedal might be a light enough OD for you. I used the TIM pedal for playing Motown and Funk style rhythm tones. Just a tad of OD and enough compression to soften the blow of doing those clean Motown chop chords.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding what you need.

dave

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

Just another line of thinking..the other guitar player in my band went with some 50 w Weber alnico blues and he is getting some really nice breakup and sustain from the amp...for pedals he is using a BJF Honeybee and a Tim...but the breakup from the amp is really...really nice on it's own...

kind of goes against conventional thinkging....BF amp and alnicos but really worth checking out...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. vanguard

vanguard Member

i play a 67 twin reverb w/ d120f's, and the best ways i've found to break it up are:

yellow jackets

my klon centaur (prob the best option, especially if used with yellow jackets...)

germanium treble boosters also do it, but you have to compensate with the amps eq as twin+jbl's+treble booster can equal ****ing piercing!

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

What are Yellow Jackets?

11. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Next week I'm visiting with a friend who has a Fatboost and an RC Booster. He also has a friend who will bring a Klon and a few others. I really want to keep the amp stock as I love it's basic tone. I originally got it for clean jazz playing and, for rock playing, have an early 70's Marshall rig, but it's just too much to lug around and I can't get great cleans with it. I figured the Twin would be pretty versatile with stomp boxes. I'm just hoping one of these pedals doesn't change or color the sound, just add a little push and grit to it. Then I'll add different distortions on top of it to go into higher gain territories.

Davebc. I envy you that you were able to play live with that amp cranked, because it is damn loud. I've been hassled many a time about it.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

What are Yellow Jackets??

13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Blackstone OD. Perfect for clean blackface Fenders.

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

The RC Booster is great, but unless your amp is already on the brink of crunch, you won't get much drive out of it and the gain it does have is a little brash.
    I use mine like an eq pedal, with the gain around 12 o'clock it's more of a clean boost.

A pedal I like a lot for light drive into a clean amp is a stock Boss BD-2, I have the Keeley one too but for light crucnh I like the stock better.

A BD-2 with an RC Booster sounds great through a Twin.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

www.thdelectronics.com

but i love the ol' JBL loaded silverface. clean machine to the bone.

light OD wise, i dig my Cornish SS-2. melds beautifully with the amp. also, my FoxRox ZIM's A side has a gorgeous slightly broken up, yet fat warm tone.

but i'm a sucker for a dying battery fuzz, and my Keeley Fuzzhead rawks sock for that.

16. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Tim or Timmy. Unbeatable for light overdrive from a real clean amp. If you play a Tele look at the Analogman King of Tone.

Dan

17. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Try replacing one of the JBL,s with a celestian 65 watter and try a older FD2 or pretty much any TS type pedal,and it will get you there,also Bias the amp a bit on the hot side,Let us know how it sounds. :BEER

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Timmy or especially Baby Blue OD - I think Big Loud Clean amps is were the BBOD really excels at light touch sensitive bluesy dirt...

19. boog204

boog204 Member

some cheaper alternatives that have worked for me include the:

boss overdrives, tech 21 double drive, barber direct drive, barber burn unit, ts9 ri's, fd2's, jekyll and hyde, hao rumble mod...

i've used all those in all od/gain applications w/ a twin w/ great results. the ones that stuck over time were the cheaper ones (tech 21, direct drive, ts9) b/c to me they offered the same great tone as the more expensive ones.

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Nothing is better than the Klon, and running into the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive.. I love it...