Light, dry rosewood. Wanna see?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Holliman, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Just picked up a TVL Jazzmaster. Pretty neat guitar. Hate the fretboard though. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it yet, so I'm hesitant to put some juice on it to try and hydrate it. With the block inlays, it's really messing with my ability to find notes when soloing. I miss the days of gorgeous, lush, dark rosewood on new guitars...

[​IMG]

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

My 2 newer Gibsons have nice dark oily fretboards. They are still out there

3. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Get some Watco Danish oil. Apply it lightly with a small cotton rag. Then wipe it off. Let it dry overnight. Restring.

4. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

yup, you can definitely still find them. Nothing worse to me than a dark guitar with a light RW board.

5. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Pretty nice looking board if you ask me.

Oh, and stop looking at the inlays while playing...seriously. ;)

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I don't like light, dry rosewood at all. The dark and smooth Indian is still out there, but not sure how much. I have a Suhr and the rosewood is black and almost as smooth as ebony.

7. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

All the more reason to stay with the small builders I guess!. However, it's still a sexy little offset!

[​IMG]

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I love that model. One of the coolest things Fender has done in a long time.

9. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I dont like light rosewood - but yeah...you shouldnt be looking at the neck while soloing :)

Just be careful if you decide to stain it - I used some Stew Mac fretboard stain that claimed to wipe off inlays no problems - it did not. It did stain the board nicely but the inlays are almost black now.

10. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Interesting. I stained several fretboards with that leather dye and never had an inlay problem. If I did get some on there a solvent like Goof Off got rid of it easily. To the OP I would dye that thing. Two passes and it will look like ebony.

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Is this a problem for your eyes or playing? Alot of people play maple fretboards.... and of course they are perfectly dry. Can you actually "feel" the fretboard when playing? maybe try to adjust your heavy fretting technique?
    There are a lot of different oils that work. Sometimes I just use WD40. It's light, soaks in fast. But I have the more traditional oils also.

12. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

A few drops of baby oil will fix that right up.

13. rlefty

rlefty Member

I think the contrast in that grain has some character. If you hit the board up with some fret doctor, it will look great.

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

oil it up, it'll darken. AND it's got really nice figuring.

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

16. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I use Big Bends Fret Board Juice. Works great! I have a 45 day return window on the guitar. I don't imagine they will like the fact that I changed the strings an oiled up the fret board. I also can't use the trem arm because it's sealed up in the case candy bag.

17. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

If everything else is good (neck straight, sounds good, good setup, good electronics, etc.), I'd oil & keep. But, then, I think the fretboard looks great.

BTW, I tried the Terry McInturff experiment: put a dab of oil on a glass surface and see if it evaporates after a day or two - indicating whether it soaks in rather than sits on top. None of the ones I tried (Watco, oil for woodwinds / violins, Behn) evaporated. I didn't care for the Watco and the Behn had less darkening effect than all of them.

18. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

19. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Dark IRW is getting harder to find and more expensive. Just think, when the lighter color rosewood is the must have, you will be ahead of the game! :)

20. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

They don't claim they wipe off "inlays". It wipes off most real and natural inlay materials like real shell (mop) and the like. Plastics and acrylics are likely to take the dye just like the wood. Layers shells are a likely to absorb into the layers.