1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Light, fat single 12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eric Pykala, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

A buddy of mine just got the news he needs to trim down the size of the gear he's carrying. What do you folks like for a single twelve cab, big-sounding but with serious emphasis on LIGHT? We're talking his THD 2X12 at 45 lbs, is too big/heavy. It's going to be sliding under a Fuchs ODS30SLX head, so any input on speaker choice would also be greatly appreciated! Already been on Bob Burt's site, but wondering if anyone is making something like the rear-ported THD in single-12 size that stills packs a big, efficient punch (hard to beat the THD!).-Eric

2. studio8000

studio8000 Member

if you're looking for closed back.. i like the CAA 1x12. pretty much 90% identical to the Bogner 1x12 and cheaper. (made by the same guy) and it's really portable and light.. but has a lot of body to the sound.

3. backwater

backwater Member

One solution might be to try a lightweight speaker. I'm currently experimenting with the Celestion Century Vintage which weighs about 1/3 of the weight of a G12H30. I'm looking at loading 4 of them into a Marshall 4x12 and the weight reduction is about 10kg!

The sound is pretty similar to the Vintage 30 but I'll have to wait for the speakers to bed in to get a real idea of them.:angel

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a pine cab 1 12 that Jeff at J Designs built for me, with a Celestion Century Vintage speaker. It just kills and is virtually weightless. I used it with my loud rock band and recently replaced it (just in the rehearsal studio) with the THD cab. The THD sounds a bit bigger for cleans, but basically the 1 12 did fine. I leave the 2 12 in the studio and use the 1 12 for gigging. I refuse to carry heavy stuff anymore and most gigs do not require the volumes I can generate.

jon

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I'm using an old style (square) DR Z 1X12 open back with a Celestion G12H100 with my Demeter and it sounds huge and really maintains a big tight bottom end. My second cab is a Roccaforte 1X12 open back loaded with a Governor, lighter in weight, very open and tight, but obviously doesn't quite have the bottom as the Z/G12H100 combination. I think both would work with the Fuchs. I don't know why both companies stopped making these models, but they do come available.
    FWIW,
    Rick

6. kram21

kram21 Member

trutone custom makes light weight cabs made of pine,and these cabs resonate and project;I believe that they make ported cabs to

7. hrowe

hrowe Member

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

anything made of pine, and has Bob Burt's name on the front. ;)

9. KLB

KLB Member

Jon,
    In your experience, what is the closest speaker in tone to the Century Vintage?

Thanks,
    Ken

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

What's "CAA?"

11. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Wow, a bunch of things I never thought of! Guess this is why I use this board so much. Love to hear more about neodynium speakers, as I have little experience with them. Also, I know Avatar cabs are widely-regarded for their bang-buck ratio, but how is their single twelve? Keep it up guys!-Eric

12. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i was guessing custom audio amplifiers. bradshaw/suhr