light, high-end replacement for the Vox Pathfinder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by boo radley, Feb 23, 2012.

1. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15r that I sometimes take when playing with friends, or bring down the beach for long weekends, etc, rather than pack up my pedal board and Fender Princeton Reverb.

I really like how lightweight it is, and for $100, it sounds pretty good. But not great. :) It has 'one' voice -- semi-dirty voice, to my ears. I don't like anything with the boost switch, nor the more clean tones.

I realize anything with tubes is going to be a bit heavier, but I'm still trying to stay under the weight and size of the Princeton (I know, THAT's not exactly an anvil).

Any recommendations for a light, 'grab-and-go' combo made by small builders (trying to avoid the word, 'boutique')?

2. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I love the Pathfinder, and also the Princeton Reverb. If I wanted something in between, size-wise, with good tone, I'd go with a Pro-Junior. It's hard to beat a Pro-Junior for great tone, easy portability, and reasonable price.

3. boo radley

Eh, I had one a Fender ProJr a couple years ago, and really didn't like it. Dry and tight, and I'd have to bring my pedal board, for any dirt at reasonable volume levels.

Maybe I'm just asking to much for something portable. I've also owned the VibroChamp XD modeling amp, which I probably should have held onto....

4. bynt

bynt Member

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

How high is your end? Vox has a few new offerings on the way, in addition to the ac4. Bad cat has one, morgan has one on the way, and top hat used to make some. Dr z has a little guy, too. Xits made one that pops up here from time to time.

6. boo radley

Hmm...ideally, used, and...maybe $800? $900? (BTW, that Zinky in another thread looks great).

What would be optimum is not needing pedals to get both a clean and good dirty tone. (I don't expect reverb, though I like it). I'd like to have enough volume for a very small venue, so 5 watts and up should be plenty. And it has to be light (10" speaker?) and ideally differently-voiced enough from the Princeton Reverb, that I won't simply wish I'd brought the Princeton! :)

7. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

I love my Pathfinder but if you want prettier drive tones and portability and think that 5w will work - maybe try a Blackface Champ?

8. pine

pine Silver Supporting Member

Kendrick So Lo 7

9. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

Check out Swart. They make a bunch of small grab and go's that sound awesome.

10. Lance

Lance Member

Fuch's Lucky 7 I or II if you can find one used in your price range.

11. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

I'd check out Swart too. If you want go cheap, a super champ xd is quite versatile.

12. boo radley

Thx all....I had an XD -- the VibroChamp -- but something always bugged me about having all those modeling tones I never used.

There's a Fuchs Lucky 7 for sale locally, but it's a couple hundred or more out of my price range. With a 1x12, I'm guessing it's not that light and compact, either? The Swart suggestion seems solid, and I'll look for some.

13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, the way I see it, you either need to compromise on the weight, ante up some more $$$ or deal with the extra models on the Super Champ XD.

I really think a Super Champ with a more Voxy speaker would be hard to beat. If a 12" ceramic Blue Dog can be crammed in there, I'd think that would be about the ideal answer and should be WAY under your budget.

If you can deal with a ~40 lb amp, the AC15C1 would be pretty sweet and a used one should allow enough money to get that Blue Dog in there as well.

If you increase your budget, there are LOTS of great options.

14. socalscott

socalscott Member

Bad Cat has the new combo that is 5W tube, but gets 100W D re-amp'd.

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Check out a Fender Super Champ XD 15 watts tube with FX and multiple voices, I love mine.

16. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

It can't/won't be done. LOL! Anytime somebody makes an amp that does what you want it ends up being too expensive. Hence the thread I started just this morning regarding putting the Pathfinder chassis in a better box.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1039172

No responses at all on that thread, cause so many folks have tried it, asked it, etc.

For what it is worth I put a Weber 8" Blue Pup in mine and it sounds better to my ears.

Good luck and keep us posted.

17. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Budgets are what they are, and are perfectly understandable. Also, what constitutes an upgrade is an individual thing, and when you're coming from a hundred-dollar Vox Pathfinder (which, by the way, I'm NOT slamming, and is actually a pretty cool little amp), almost anything will be more expensive. Having said all that, this is The Gear Page, home of boutique amp-builders and cork-sniffers (I sometimes include myself in this latter category), and $800-900 is by no means "high end" here. I'll give a short list of amps that might meet your weight and tone requirements, even though each one is above your budget new; used may be another questions, but you'll probably need to be patient to find a deal that works for you:

Carr Raleigh
    Zinky Blue Velvet
    Goodsell Super 17
    Fuchs Lucky7 or Blackjack 21
    Twister Dust Devil

All of these (with the possible exception of the Zinky) are well under forty pounds, cost less than two grand new (and this is for combos; heads will of course be even cheaper), get rave reviews, sound amazing (this according to aforementioned reviews as well as my perception from hearing them in clips), and all are amps I've seriously considered getting at some point (in fact, I've pretty much decided the Blackjack WILL be my next amp). Now, the trick is to either save up while shopping around and/or take advantage of the seller's market in which we currently live and hope to score a really sweet deal. Best of luck; hope this helps a bit.
    Steve

18. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

What's that 2 channel Mesa 1x10 combo that is switchable from 5 to 25 watts?

My roommate has one, it's tiny but it sounds killer. Clean and dirty easy with two channels, and both channels have independent reverbs.

Ok, now I'm just talking myself into it...

19. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Chris, that's called the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. They're $1300 new for the 1x12, but again, we're in a buyer's market, and actually, you're be much likelier to find one of those used than any of the more "boutique" stuff I listed.
    Steve

20. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

We must think alike because I have all 3 of those amps, including 2 Pro Juniors!

[​IMG]

But, I won't profess to knowing exactly what the OP wants... or even if it's out there. Light weight eliminates a lot of options.

amorica likes this.