• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

light les paul?

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
I'm considering for the first time ever a les paul...
the first electric guitar I ever had was a les paul copy, and I didn't like it much.
And I've played teles all my life - but the last 5 years I've had a Heritage 535 and I really love the humbuckers, tone, presence of it. Recently tried a Les Paul at GC I liked very much

So starting to look at getting a Paul again- a Heritage, Gibson, whatever - under $2000 - used fine - I want one that would have THE tone - but also I know I wouldn't want to perform with a 9 lb. guitar.

What are the best options for that as far as decent weight and magnificent tone- is there a line that hits that sweet spot...
are the historic's available in I guess around 8 lbs or so? under 7.5 lbs would be great.

Last edited:

small axe

get something holllowed out inside....there is also the option of a les paul model which i cant remember but had abalone blocks and came in colors like peacock blue....i owned one and it was light...some1 else can help more

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
2007 and 2008 Standards and Classics are chambered. The fit and finsish I found to be quite good on these.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
The Gibby 60's Tributes are chambered, and sound really good. They're only around $800.00 - $900.00

Sigmund

We had a Standard Faded in the shop for a little service and TLC, lifted it up and was instantly shocked by how light it was.
This one was actually too light, felt and sounded wrong..

zastruga

The Gibson Traditional Plus is weight-relieved and thus not overly heavy. Still a tad heavier than the average Fender counterparts, but I can definitely last a whole show and not feel like my back is going to blow out. And being a Traditional, it's designed toward THE sound.

They can be found all day in the $1600 range used, which is about what I paid for mine:

EtaCarinae

To throw in my two cents, I have very much enjoyed the chambered Les Pauls I have played. Some folks will dislike them because they are not the way it has always been. Some will notice a small difference and dislike it. To my ears, I thought I could pick out a difference, but it was definitely subtle - and it could have just been that I was playing a particularly nice specimen - but I preferred the sound of the chambered Les Paul. To sum it up:

1) I think chambered sounds better
2) Most probably disagree with the above, but I do not think many would argue the difference is anything more than subtle.

Sconnie

I want one that would have THE tone - but also I know I wouldn't want to perform with a 9 lb. guitar.
Unfortulately the chambered or weight-relieved models wont give you "the tone." Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls when they are built to be Les Pauls. No weight relief and PAF's (Burstbuckers or 57 classics) give you "the tone". As always, go out and play them before you buy. Many people like the chambered or weight-relieved sound, but it is different from the original solid body sound.

sanrico

The Gibson Traditional Plus is weight-relieved and thus not overly heavy. Still a tad heavier than the average Fender counterparts, but I can definitely last a whole show and not feel like my back is going to blow out. And being a Traditional, it's designed toward THE sound.
These vary wildly. If you look on Sweetwater's site, you'll see the weights vary from 9.4 lbs on up. They can get very heavy.

sanrico

Unfortulately the chambered or weight-relieved models wont give you "the tone." Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls when they are built to be Les Pauls. No weight relief and PAF's (Burstbuckers or 57 classics) give you "the tone". As always, go out and play them before you buy. Many people like the chambered or weight-relieved sound, but it is different from the original solid body sound.
I agree with this on the chambered models, but not the weight-relieved. It always seems there is a lot of misinformation on this.

Weight-relief (or swiss cheese) started in the early 80's on all production model Les Pauls. There are many of these that are still very heavy guitars. I had a 2003 Les Paul Standard with weight-relief that still weighed almost 11 pounds.

Chambering started in late 2006 on all production Les Pauls. I agree that these feel and sound different. Some love it, some don't. These guitars weigh in from 7 to 9 pounds, usually.

"Modern weight relief" is on the 2012 Standards.

Here is a good look at what kinds of weight relief are out there: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifesty...relief-gibson-les-paul-guitars-0615-2012.aspx

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with this on the chambered models, but not the weight-relieved. It always seems there is a lot of misinformation on this.

Weight-relief (or swiss cheese) started in the early 80's on all production model Les Pauls. There are many of these that are still very heavy guitars. I had a 2003 Les Paul Standard with weight-relief that still weighed almost 11 pounds.

Chambering started in late 2006 on all production Les Pauls. I agree that these feel and sound different. Some love it, some don't. These guitars weigh in from 7 to 9 pounds, usually.

"Modern weight relief" is on the 2012 Standards.

Here is a good look at what kinds of weight relief are out there: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifesty...relief-gibson-les-paul-guitars-0615-2012.aspx
2013 Traditional models are now full soild bodies - no weight relief at all.

karma1

These are hard to find, but this is a 92 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite and weighs about as much as my Strat.

sanrico

2013 Traditional models are now full soild bodies - no weight relief at all.
I'll be dipped! You are right. I just checked it out. Man, those are gonna be some heavy guitars.

Good ol' Gibson, just when you've memorized specs, they change them again. Now there will be pre-2013 Traditionals and post-2013 Traditionals to consider when buying used guitars.

Trending Topics