Light on my Boss CE-2 doesn't work. Easy fix???

The LED was dim for a while, then it went out completely. Is it an easy fix or should I seek professional repair?

Bman20

Silver Supporting Member
i replaced all the LED's in my old school MIJ boss pedals with regular 5mm led's from pedalpartsplus. They work great. No repair needed unless ghe effect has quit workin

Trotter

How are you powering it? Some of those old Boss pedals required a specific Boss 9V power supply... Try it with just a battery and see if it lights up.

It is an older MIJ pedal. I will try a battery.
I'm good with an soldering iron of I need to replace the light.

stratguy23

It is probably an ACA powered Boss pedal (my CE-2 is), which means they need 12V isolated or 9V if daisy chained because there is a resistor that lowers the power coming into the pedal that gets shorted when daisy chained.

loosegroove

If it is the LED and not the way you're powering it, it's convenient that Radio Shack has 3mm LED's for replacement. They're more expensive per LED there than ordering from smallbear or other places, but actually much cheaper when you factor in shipping. And if you can solder, it's a very easy fix. You just have to make sure to install it in with the correct polarity.

LReese

It is probably an ACA powered Boss pedal (my CE-2 is), which means they need 12V isolated or 9V if daisy chained because there is a resistor that lowers the power coming into the pedal that gets shorted when daisy chained.

Same here - I bought my CE-2 out of the Emporium with the disclosure the LED was not working. Put proper power on it and it works like a champ.

steve440

I think you can jumper a resistor in there, it will then run fine on 9v supply. 5 min mod.
I know bugger all about boss mods but I'm sure someone will

Steve

ahcleinad

If I remember, I think the mod to be able to use with a regular 9v power supply and have the LED still bright is relatively simple.

Top Bottom