Light Streaks on African Rosewood

sirlarry

Hi all,

On my JM Sig Strat, which plays beautifully, I have always been slightly annoyed by two lighter streaks at the top of the fretboard. When I change strings, I plan on using Fret Doctor on the fretboard. I know this will darken the African Rosewood, which I am all for (since I love the super dark rosewood look), but will it also darken the streaks to make it look more uniform or just exacerbate the "issue"? Is there another oil that would be better for this?

I know it's all personal preference and I've had a few friends tell me they love the streaks in the rosewood, but for me, I just want that super dark look uniform throughout the fretboard.

THebert

Gold Supporting Member
I say oil it! Makes everything darker and I like that too. To me, while of course not dark, your fingerboard is still quite beautiful and those streaks don't stand out much- don't bother me at all. I love the feel just after oiling as well. Good luck.

K-Line

Vendor
The lighter grain will not get darker. Not much you can do except to stain it. I use a dark walnut minwax stain pen to help darken it. The lighter grain does not take to it the best but it does help some. Just do not over do it, and allow it to sink in then buff off excess really good. I say it makes it look like real wood and leave it be!

Madguitrst

I love the streaks and don't like a bunch of oil on my fretboard or artificial coloring of a fretboard in any way (even if it's simply oil for protecting the wood).

buddastrat

Are you crazy?! That's what makes your guitar look more valuable, that they used nice wood instead of cheap stuff and cover it up. You want it look like a cheap import strat with a dyed black fretboard? Lots of strats have dyed boards these days, and it makes them look real cheap. The grain looks classy and worth more.

I think the good Indian RW is depleted, and that's what the old stuff was. African RW must be lighter. But either way, grain is sexy.

BarryE

Silver Supporting Member
I also like it. It's wood and wood has interesting patterns and streaks. I would look for a guitar like that.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
My Crowdster has HUGE streaks.

It's one of the things I like BEST about the guitar.

sirlarry

Haha well you guys have convinced me once again! The streaks will stay! I guess its like seeing all three pieces in the Alder body and knowing that there's no veneer there.

dporto

So it wasn't the fact that you didn't like the way it looked but the thought of others perhaps thinking that it din't look good? Fashion, step to the left...Fashion... I think Frank had it right when he said "shut up and play yer guitar

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
You know its good wood and they didn't dye it. Use fret doctor if you want to.