Silver Supporting Member
Ideal Blues Jam amp

Requirements:
  • 30lbs or less
  • NO PEDALS for dirt (early break up)
  • Will easily CUT through the mix of a multi-guitar jam for leads

Go

kookaburra

Gallery, are we assuming that the jammers are not particularly disciplined in terms of volume and knowing when to lay back?

crazyneddie

Was also going to suggest a Supro. I play with a guy that uses a Supro Tremoverb, 25w and 1 10" speaker. I play a Bluesbreaker and the Supro can hang. They don't break up as early as you may want, but also don't get ratty cranked. Take pedals very well.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Gallery, are we assuming that the jammers are not particularly disciplined in terms of volume and knowing when to lay back?
You read my mind.

Mostly guys who have never been in a band and lack self control. There are 3 of us regulars who have been in bands most our lives and understand dynamics. We try not to get too frustrated when 8 other guys are playing Rhythm at max volume.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
The Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket is a little over the 30 lb. requirement, but is a great little combo that's not too heavy and can easily breath fire if needed......

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
do you have a budget or should I just go ahead and suggest a $5000+ boutique or vintage amp?
$3.5k max, but it would have to be pretty dang feature rich and serve more purpose than just a grab and go for blues jams. Preferably under $2k.

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about the Dr. Z Cure for the same purpose. 33 lbs. (I think), and effects loop for $1299. I'm a little leery taking my '65 DR out for this sort of thing.

bigben55

Ultimate blues jam amp?

Savage Macht 12x. I love mine! It's small, but could weigh more than 30lbs. Crank it up and ride the guitar volume from clean to crunch. @7 on a strat volume knob is clean with non aggressive picking, 10 is full on overdrive. The hi/lo inputs help if too loud, and if it's a low volume jam(drummer with brushes or very light hitter) the "studio/stage" attenuator switch is useful. It's 12 watts pure class A but with 6V6s, loud enough(louder than a 5E3, about the same as an 18 watt Marshall w/Greenback). Cuts exceptionally well, and had beautiful tremolo but no reverb.

kookaburra

I used a Laney LC15 1x10 combo for blues jams when I lived in Phoenix. About 29 pounds with the decent sounding but inefficient (95db) stock Celestion G10N40, but I sort of needed a bit more, so it is now 32.1 pounds with a very efficient Emi Red Coat Ramrod. Works more than well enough.

But, the house band is disciplined, and they are strict in enforcing that discipline the jammers. If the volume can't be reigned in, the 30 pound part will be tough!

Trending Topics