light weight grab-n-go practice/jam amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. G., Apr 6, 2015.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Looking for suggestion for a light weight practice amp that gets decent tone at really low volumes, but has enough volume to jam along with a very quiet drummer (I'm one of the few lucky ones who gets to play with one of those).

I've come up with a short list of amps that are available to me in the price range I'm looking at. Around $300 USD. I'm in Canada, so would like to keep it under $400 CAD with tax/shipping. I don't mind going a little to either side of that, though. I don't mind buying used, but am pretty limited to what I can find on Kijiji, as I don't do ebay.

I play a lot of classic and hard rock. I like a good medium to high'ish gain Marshall overdrive with a tight bottom end. Think mild Plexi up to boosted JCM800. For cleans, I usually like them where they break up when I dig in, but are fairly clean when playing softly. I don't like crystal clear cleans

It would be nice if it had some built in effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc..., but not totally necessary.

Don't really care about wattage or speaker size, as long as it is light weight and has enough volume for a small jam. Solid state would be preferable.

Here's the list I've come up with so far, in no particular order:

Orange CR35LDX
    Peavey Vypyr VIP 2
    Fender Mustang II
    Roland Cube 40GX
    Vox VT40+
    Marshall MG30CFX
    Blackstar ID:15

Any and all suggestions, opinions, and experiences are welcome.

2. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

A used Tech 21 Trademark 60 would be good for what you are describing and is solid state but doesnt sound like it.

3. Brutus

Brutus Member

I'd go with a Mustang 3 rather than 2. It will do what you want.

4. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I figured that would be one of the first suggestions to pop up. Unfortunately, I've never seen one on the local classifieds, and definitely out of my budget for this amp.

What makes the III $170 better than the II? 75 watts seems quite excessive for my needs.

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I like Vypyrs personally..

6. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I was very impressed with a Roland Cube 80GX when I was shopping for a small modeler.... not sure if it'll fit in your budget, but if not - only by a few bucks. Sweetwater (no affiliation) always cuts me great deals.... so shop around.

7. kwicked

8. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

9. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Fender Super Champ XD (used) or X2 (new)

It's got everything you want and in your price range.

10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

A nice clean tone with blooming 6V6 goodness, at 12W power. Can get on used market for a few hundred. I use 2 - one with a Greenback and one with a Blue - with a couple of the easy to install Torres Mods in them. Very happy with what comes out. Only made a few years in the late 80s.

[​IMG]

11. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I see you don't use ebay. You can search local classifieds for one of these if you think they'd work. Both very popular in their day.

Lots of people like the little Laney amps. Like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANEY-LC15R...204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a07bd944

I really like the two older Crate offerings, the Palomino (see link) and the VC15.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crate-Palom...022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae7cd8a0e

The new Laney 15 watt combo is $399 brand new.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-cub-12r-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

12. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Member

I've got the small Roland Cube 20x and I love it. Assuming that its bigger brothers have a smiliar tone plus higher wattage, I'd wholeheartedly recommend you the 40x.

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I use a Roland Cube 40GX and love it. Leave my pedal board at home, too. It has a built in tuner among other effects. and very light and can get loud if needed.

14. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Good experiences with the two Roland Cubes I've had (30 and 60, the latter of which I still have) and with the Mustang III I played.

15. sanrico

sanrico Member

They aren't easy to find, but I had a Marshall JTM 30 that was perfect for what you are describing. It's smaller and lighter than a Deluxe Reverb (see pic) and has that Marshall crunch. The cleans are surprisingly good...even excellent. It's loud enough for jamming as well.

[​IMG]

16. kwicked

Don't want to derail your thread, but i am curious as to why no ebay? I understand sellers having issues, but for a buyer to cut off all of those possibilities for used purchases, especially when you have specific needs/wants.. Not criticizing, just curious :)
    Did you decide what to get?

17. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I'm really torn between the Roland Cube 40GX and the Blackstar ID15TVP. Simply based on youtube clips, the Blackstar seems to have better and more versatile tones. However, I prefer how the Cube functions.

Personally, I think I'm leaning a little more towards the Blackstar. If you had to choose between the two, which would get your vote?

18. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

I just passed on the Blackstar, but that's because I'm a clean to mild breakup fanatic.

For your stated needs, the ID:15 or 30 would be absolutely brilliant. No tube maintenance, lots of tones, very portable. Far easier, more flexible and intuitive to program than the Mustang 1 & II, especially if you get the 4-button footswitch.

The older hotrod Champs (and the XD) are great, but they're one-trick ponies compared to the Blackstar.

19. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Mustang III v2 for sure.

20. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

It may prove to not be loud enough for my needs, but either way, I ended up ordering the Blackstar ID15TVP. I'll report back when/if it ever arrives.