Light weight tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Evan Gluck, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Wondering what the lightest weight non-locking decent machine heads for a fender style headstock. Getting weight info seems to be an issue. Trying to make it as light as possible.
    Thanks, Evan

2. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Hi Everyone,

Evan is one of the best techs in the New York City area. He recently setup my Mexican Strat to play effortlessly. It is now such a pleasure to play. Thanks Evan.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programs....

-Ivan.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Open backed Sperzels. They have a traditional version, plus a version where the string goes through the bottom of the post and out the back allowing the string to cross over itself, providing a non-mechanical friction lock.

[​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

5. philtone

philtone Member

Tuner weights
    With associated bushings, washers, nuts and screws
    Weighed using a Pelouze digital postal scale

Schaller Fender style locking, metal buttons 9.6 oz
    Sperzel Trimlok locking w/ plastic button 7.0 oz
    Sperzel Soundlok w/plastic button 4.6 oz
    -these are the ones Jim is describing with the friction lock
    Gibson Kluson Dlx, 10mm nut, plastic buttons 6.6 oz
    Fender style Kluson Dlx, bushings, by Gotoh 5.0 oz
    Grovers w/ metal tulips (90s ES 165) 9.0 oz

6. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Thanks so much guys and especially Ivan that was sweet I am glad you are one of my clients. 2 questions: Phil thanks for the weights that is the kind of info I am after any ideas about the Gotoh 510 mini tuners with the organic looking buttons? They are supposed to be fairly light weight.
    Next question is for Jim where do you get those open back Sperzels? My usual suppliers AllParts, Stew-mac, LMI don't seem to stock them.
    BTW I checked out all of your guys websites and was very impressed, lets keep up the good fight!!
    Thanks again Evan

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Cool numbers! But the photo Jim used had metal buttons, hence my mention of the vintage Klusons. Buttons make all the difference. I replaced the cast buttons on a set of Grover Rotomatics with some home made ziricote wood ones on a guitar I built for the NAMM show this past January and saved a tremendous amount of weight!

:D

8. Jim Soloway

I get them direct from Sperzel. We use them on all of our guitars. I don't know what their policy is about selling to a repair tech, but their number is 216-281-6868. Talk to Lori or Elizabeth.

9. philtone

philtone Member

Yes Evan, call Sperzel direct. They are good folks.

Jack - I didn't have any of the metal button Sperzel variants in shop when I went on the weight kick. You are right; metal buttons do add significantly to the weight - as much as 2 oz. IIRC Sperzels have an aluminum housing rather than zinc/pot metal etc.

Wait (no pun intended!) I just pulled a set of metal button Sperzel Trimloks and they weight 7.2 oz. Sperzel's metal buttons must be pretty light weight. IIRC Schaller and Grover have heavier metal buttons.

Just checked - the Sperzel metal button appears to be aluminum.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Philtone,

Cool, thanks for the info! I may have to check them out.
    :AOK

11. Jim Soloway

Sperzel also has buttons in two sizes. We use the smaller oval buttons and the difference is significant.

12. philtone

philtone Member

Yeah mon, size matters.

I've not had the occassion to weigh the Gotoh 510s.

Best,

13. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget Waverly tuners. Used 'em on this custom archtop for weight, 18-1 ratio and accuracy.

[​IMG]

-jm

14. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Thanks for all the great info guys, I think I will go with the Sperzel open backs and plastic buttons. They look pretty cool as well. BTW the Gotoh 510 delta seem to weigh about 5.4 oz.
    Evan

15. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Hi, gang,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the Steinberger gearless tuners and, more especially, compared them to others in terms of weight.

Sperzel has had suffered production delays with the open-back tuners, and my patience has just about run out. I'm now considering some of the pricier products such as the Waverlys... and now the Steinbergers.

-Ben

16. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Just noticed Hipshot also has a new product called the Juniorlite available with or without a locking mechanism.

-Ben

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Check ebay for the Sperzels.

18. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Thanks... but for the Sound-loks? I don't think they're there. AFAIK, they've only been available direct or through TK Instruments since they were first released.

After waiting for four months, the Hipshots are looking mighty good to me about now.

-Ben

19. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Thanks for the reply, David. (Love the axe, btw. I saw your other thread on it.) These are for an experimental-ish (100% softwood) guitar, so I don't mind the odd looks even though the Sperzels would be more traditional. How are string changes? I've never quite understood how the LSRs work. Do they pull the string through a channel? Also, I somehow thought they went out of production, but the AOL sales site does seem to be up and running....

-Ben

20. drezdin

drezdin Member

I have some of the steinbergers and they are the heavy (I can weight them for you if you would like) especially when compared to the sperzels.
    I used to sell parts and you did have do have to wait a bit for the sperzels, but I think the longest I waited was about a month.
    Mr. Sperzel also recommended the non plated tuners as the extra thickness of the plating effects the performance of the tuner.