Lighter colored mahogany?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tommy Tourbus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

Is there a general consensus about what coloring is most desirable in mahogany tonewood. I'm talking about tone mind you, not aesthetics. Darker preffered over light? Is there a diff in sound?

I'm looking at a guitar online and it is a natural finished back. The mahogany has a lighter, bleached out looking tinge to it.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

White Korina seems to be more desirable tone wise in the Mahogany wood types. Although there is some debate whether Korina is a type of Mahogany or a completely different wood.

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Color doesn't affect tone. Lighter mahogany might be African instead of Honduran.

4. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I doubt it holds true across the board, but all of the lighter colored mahogany I've dealt with was lighter & less dense than the darker colored stuff.

Don't think korina (limba) is related to mahogany at all. It works/machines differently & the grain/pore structure is also different. The tonal "similarity" is just a coincidence, I think.

5. rastus

rastus Member

Used to work at Gibson, have handled thousands of mahogany guitars, here is what I found to be the case almost without exception. Lighter coloring equals lighter wood-darker color (more mineral content lower in the trunk) equals heavier wood. I noticed that resonance had little to do with weight, but at the same time, the mediuim color and weight pieces seemed to be more consistenly resonant. To this day I find the best guitars in this medium weight catagory.

I also noticed that grain orientation had a lot to do with resonance. I found that flatsawn pieces tended towards more "airy" or open tone, and that quartersawn pieces had a stronger fundamental tone, not less resonance, but a different emphasis on what type of sound the guitar would produce. Again, medium weighted pieces performed best to my ears in all respects.