Lightest Weight Tuners?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by george4908, Jun 1, 2005.

1. george4908

george4908 Member

A friend of mine is building a semi-hollow of his own design which is shaping up to be a VERY lightweight guitar -- meaning there may be a serious case of neck-heaviness once the tuners are on there.

Can someone suggest the lightest weight 3/3 tuners out there that are still reasonably decent quality? He'll probably replace the buttons in any case with plastic or wood, but wants the hardware to be as light as possible, too.

Thanks.

2. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

George,

These are the Sperzels I use. They have an exposed gearbox which reduces all unnecessary "housing" material. They are very skeletal looking and extremely light weight, especially when the plastic knobs are used. The ones shown are locking, if your friend got the non-locking type, the wheel on the back of each wouldn't be there making them even lighter weight.

Ron

3. george4908

george4908 Member

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

The Sperzel "sound lock" tuners are very light. I installed them on one guitar, and they work very well. I bought them from one of our forum brothers at Specialty Guitars.

Todd at TK Instruments also carries them. They lock the string without the necessity of a thumb wheel, which is kind of cool. I like both Sperzel designs though. The trim lock version (with the thumb wheel) is easier to use IMO.

Ron - Yours appear to be a hybrid of the two Sperzel designs - shaped like a sound lock, but with the thumb wheel of the trim lock. Is that right? Very cool looking either way!

5. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Hipfan,

Good eye...these are custom made for me by Sperzel. You might also note the G & D string tuners have extended button shafts which puts those two string posts very close together for near perfect straight string pull.

Ron

6. wolfman645

wolfman645 Guest

I will 2nd the vote for Sperzel. They make changing strings a snap, and they are indeed light weight.

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Good price at Specialty also , and I was surprised to see the different knob shapes offered . :AOK