Lightning crashes, a new mother cries

fjrabon

The price of the placentia falls to the floor!
3DA6682A-62AD-452E-B635-73770844180B.jpeg

fjrabon

I really hope this is because G&L realized what a mistake it was to name their budget line Placentia, so this is their attempt to blow them out and try something else. :rotflmao
That one looks kinda rad if it had an ebony fretboard.

fjrabon

$269 ain’t bad to get yourself a good modding platform!

That said, I’ve never played their placenta line of guitars, so they could be a bloody mess for all I know.
Supposedly they’re a few definite steps down in quality from their normal budget line (ie where they’re getting the $450 price from).

That being said $270 isn’t bad even if literally the only thing you end up using is the silver burst body.

Oinkus

Bought the Placentia JB Bass the other day will see how crappy the hardware and build actually is on Thursday or so .

HERSCHEL

Silver Supporting Member
I’m seriously tempted to try this one but the thing I’m having a hard time with is the inexpensive Cort two-point trem vs. the nice G&L trem.

fjrabon

I'm not old enough to be on social security. Old enough to get this reference and old enough to have joint pain.
I have no idea what you’re talking about. That song came out like max ten years ago and I won’t be hearing otherwise.

Oinkus

Hardware is as low end as you can find but it does work as it is supposed to. Pickups don't sound too bad. Tuning machines are really crappy. Neck had a spot of rough grain on it that I had to hit with scotch brite but the satin finish feels good. Strings were a 1/4" off the neck at the end of the fretboard and it had reverse bow. No idea what the size of the neck pocket is I am not taking it apart. If you are modding and only use the wood body it is a bit pricey. Yet again I will say you should save your money and buy a better bass/guitar. I just had to have something that will make noise through my bass rig and this works but is not any better than the other cheap made in China stuff.

Cloughie

I don't know if it follows suit through their budget line, but G&L always did their own thing with measurements that are otherwise pretty traditional throughout other brands. So anybody buying these as a mod platform might want to do a little homework on their specs first. Neck pocket size, body thickness, etc.

wraub

Hardware is as low end as you can find but it does work as it is supposed to. Pickups don't sound too bad. Tuning machines are really crappy. Neck had a spot of rough grain on it that I had to hit with scotch brite but the satin finish feels good. Strings were a 1/4" off the neck at the end of the fretboard and it had reverse bow. No idea what the size of the neck pocket is I am not taking it apart. If you are modding and only use the wood body it is a bit pricey. Yet again I will say you should save your money and buy a better bass/guitar. I just had to have something that will make noise through my bass rig and this works but is not any better than the other cheap made in China stuff.

Have heard this as well, and have also heard that some of the parts are sized unusually, making replacement parts difficult to source.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
I'm glad I'm not the only one that read that as "placenta".
It doesn't matter.. whatever lame brain thought that one up is probably in the unemployment line with the guy that thought up the robot tuners.

It's Marketing... first law thereof is know your market... Guitarists are traditionalists... at least the major part ... and ya aren't gonna sell a traditional looking guitar with a rather obnoxious name.. even if it's not really what it appears... to a buncha people that have some remaining semblance of decorum.

Oinkus

Has the same measurements as a Fender 5 hole bridge. Probably should put a Tusq XL nut on it too. Neck and fretwork are the best part of the build , fret ends are clean and satin finish is smooth.

ellis dee

i don't see anything wrong with the name, placentia is a city right next to fullerton. they also have a doheny model and a fullerton deluxe.

Top Bottom