Lightning storm in a rectifier tube.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by PTS, Apr 20, 2015.

1. PTS

PTS Member

After my amp was turned on I had a rectifier arc white lightning inside the tube for a second and then glow a purple color.

Can I assume the tube is dying and throw it away? I'm a bit afraid to try it again, but it's a $$$ tube. Will testing it again lead to further damage? I didn't dare keep it on long enough listen to what it sounded like.

I tried a different brand of rectifier and everything was fine, so it isn't the amp. I just figure the old rectifier is shorting out?

2. Trout

Trout Member

It spoke to you,,, it said,

HELLO<< I'M DYING like a billboard in Vegas or the Batman spotlight in the sky.

Throw it way or use it for target practice and be thankful it spoke to you before it took something higher $$$$ with it.

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If the new one keeps working with no problems, I would say it's bad and throw it away.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What tube? many of the new manufacture rectifiers do this.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What amp? If it's an older amp, has it had a cap job done? What specific rectifier number and brand is it?

6. PTS

PTS Member

The troublesome rectifier is a sophia princess mesh plate 274b. It only glowed orange before the arcing/purple tint happened. This was more a general question about the behavior of dying tubes, the amplifier itself isn't for guitar. Thanks for the replies!

7. Trout

Trout Member

Those are PURDY!!

[​IMG]

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

The questions I asked, above, were to try to figure out if the amp is killing the rectifiers...something that's still a possibility.

Is the 274B the manufacturer's specified tube?

9. PTS

PTS Member

Yeah, Woo Audio amps have it listed as an official upgrade to their stock tube, so it's something they recommend. The brimar 5Z4GY I've put it its place seems to be doing fine, so I'll assume the sophia princess was/is faulty. 274Bs are indeed big, pretty tubes!

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Nothing wrong with the glow, but arcing can be a bit disconcerting....

11. Trout

Trout Member

Anything other than the glow like the photo above in a 274B is likely bad news. They usually don't glow blue like output tubes.

Mercury vapor rectifiers give off a violet/white/pinkish glow under normal operation but that is an entirely different beast.