Lightweight amp with reverb and tremolo?

SealCove

Silver Supporting Member
Another shout for Swart. AST or a STR-Tremolo. Used in either case, though I got my STR-Trem for under your budget new with a sale.

Vibroluxman

Vox ac 15 is nice too. If you like dirty cleans Princeton. If you want something oomphier, deluxe reverb with a lighter speaker and a pine cab.

amorica

I’d almost prefer this to the 68 custom Princeton since the speaker is 12”
I just sold this same model Tweed PR from Sweetwater after about a year. Cool amp but didn't have a lot of highs at all, was missing that Fender Sparkle big time. I even play a Tele with low winds. I changed out the speaker with a Swamp Thang I already had (not that their known for highs) and wanted the clean headroom. It helped but still didn't sound like a Princeton. The Trem was killer, but the 68 PR is even better on the Trem. The 68 PR with a brighter speaker, even a Ragin Cajun is better IMO.
Its all in the speaker for the most part

Last edited:

Vibroluxman

I forgot Ampeg’s reverberocket. One from the 60’s shouldn’t be terribly heavy. The reissue was a bit of a bear.

mikemjr12

I'll second the Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2. Quilter also sells the Steelaire, which has trem and verb, but it's a bit pricey. Sweet tone controls though. Low and high mids in addition to treble and bass. Wish more amps had more options like that, but I digress.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
i miss my ampeg j12t ‘90’s reissue. 2 in stereo is pretty memorable!

Vibroluxman

They do? Great!
Yep. It was only the deluxe and higher that went opto. Honestly the trem on proncetons is pretty weak if you run a hot bias on your power tubes. Nowhere near as swampy as my gretsch made by Valco. I find the deluxe around an intensity of 5 is my PR on 10. However speed max and intensity maxed with the reverb set around 8 is pure surf lol. Sounds great.

gplayer50

At one time or another I’ve owned each of these amps with Reverb and Tremolo and here they are ranked from least favorite to favorite:

Swart AST
Goodsell 17 Mark IV
Louis Electric Columbia
Roland Blues Cube Artist
Quilter Micropro Mach 2
Vintage Sound 20
Ampeg Jet 12 RT
Princeton 65 RI
Princeton 68 RI
Quilter Steelaire ()

jpervin

At one time or another I’ve owned each of these amps with Reverb and Tremolo and here they are ranked from least favorite to favorite:

Swart AST
Goodsell 17 Mark IV
Louis Electric Columbia
Roland Blues Cube Artist
Quilter Micropro Mach 2
Vintage Sound 20
Ampeg Jet 12 RT
Princeton 65 RI
Princeton 68 RI
Quilter Steelaire ()
The Swart is your least favorite?

gplayer50

The Swart is your least favorite?
Unfortunately, yes. I tried one a couple different times. I found it way too boxy sounding and rather noisy. The Reverb was fair but seemed to have no good middle ground and I did not like the single tone knob given the amps basic tonal sound. I will admit that I liked the tremolo, but it could not make up for the other things I did not like.

Trending Topics