Lightweight amp with reverb and tremolo?

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
What's the difference between Mk1 and Mk2?
Yes, the attenuator is the main difference along with some other tweaks, there is good info available from the builder here
https://reverb.com/news/reverb-interview-mark-bartel-and-the-tone-king-imperial-mkii

Keep in mind the MKII comes in at about 40lbs. They have the rep as very lightweight and the original specs were published as 36lbs. My MKI is 35 lbs with the original speaker and guys talk about them as under 30 so be really careful and request an actual weight on anything you are serious about if lightweight is an important consideration (as it is for me). For some reason, lightweight amps get 5-10 lbs shaved off of them when guys are raving about them online and then that becomes circular reference. Alessandro Rottweilers are another example of this happening.
Neo speakers are great these days and the Emi Lil Texas (american) or Creamback neo (brit) are the easiest ways to remove 4 or more lbs from just about any 12" single speaker combo, imho.

junu

I really dig all that Swart has to offer in such a small form factor. Another vote for Swart AST Pro. I missed mine so much that I have another one on the way!!!

JackD

Platinum Supporting Member
Goodsell Super 17, mkIII version (tone knob plus 17/5w switch) or mkIV version (no 17/5w switch, instead full TMB stack)

Fantastic amps that are great with pedals. Tremolo is also excellent. Richard provides incredible service
I totally agree. I have a Goodsell 1958 head with reverb, tremolo and master volume. Killer amp!!

rjtwangs

Me
Gold Supporting Member
Yet another vote for the Swart AST, I found mine used with two button foot switch, and Night Light Attenuator for $1250.00 about 3 years ago...it has become my go to amp....boxy sounding??? not mine....it's the best sounding club amp w reverb/tremolo I've ever had....think tweed deluxe with reverb and tremolo....coupled with my Mythical OD it's a glorious sound....ymmv....

RJ

lp144

Silver Supporting Member
Dr Z Cure. Used between $1000 to $1300. 33 pounds. The Level control keeps the Cure sounding good at low volume for practice...raise the Level for gigging. Reverb and Tremolo pedals work well in the loop. I like the Eventide H9.

The Cure sounds great with the stock tubes and speaker. For blues-rock, a Celestion Neo Creamback is 3 lbs lighter and gives the amp a British edge while still retaining its Tweed_Browface_Blackface origins.

HaroldBrooks

I’m always down for an amp combo with a good onboard reverb and tremolo circuit. I haven’t researched into these for a couple of years...anything new out in the last 2 years that has both and weighs maybe less than 40 lbs, even <35 lbs if possible? Probably won’t need for than 22 Watts, and single channel is fine...I’d get overdrive from pedals.
If you are willing to go back in time a bit, I would suggest a Gretsch 6162. Fantastic vintage rock amp with 12AX7 and 6973 tubes. Reverb and Tremolo and it weighs in at exactly 35lbs with it's twin Jensen 10" Speakers. You can generally find a very good one for right around $800. It's the same a many of the Supro's circuit wise back in the 1960's and it's a Gem, IMHO. Made by Valco. And, if you ever need to sell it, very good chance you will get all your money back.

Here's one a bit on the expensive side, but you can search and do better if you are patient, I am sure : https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...^375285643573-sku^114083340@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Last edited:

Vibroluxman

If you are willing to go back in time a bit, I would suggest a Gretsch 6162. Fantastic vintage rock amp with 12AX7 and 6973 tubes. Reverb and Tremolo and it weighs in at exactly 35lbs with it's twin Jensen 10" Speakers. You can generally find a very good one for right around $800. It's the same a many of the Supro's circuit wise back in the 1960's and it's a Gem, IMHO. Made by Valco. And, if you ever need to sell it, very good chance you will get all you money back.

Here's one a bit on the expensive side, but you can search and do better I am sure : https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...^375285643573-sku^114083340@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

I got it’s brother 6161 (no Reverb) for $10 at a thriftshop last year. Fun amp.

HaroldBrooks

I got it’s brother 6161 (no Reverb) for $10 at a thriftshop last year. Fun amp.
Holy crap ! what a huge score !

I think I saw your post on another site when I was looking up information about my 6162.

You are about as lucky as anyone can get !!!

Enjoy that great Vintage Gretsch (Valco) Amp !!!

jim lavender

I talked to Michael at Swart and they will also put the new Antares chassis in an STR Trem sized cab. The Antares has a pretty fair amount of clean headroom IMO.

jim lavender

A couple of other suggestions. + 1 for Vintage Sound 15,20, or 22. If you can live without Tremelo check out the Wonder Dawg by Lil Dawg. Both of these options are more budget minded than the Swart Antares. The Swart STR trem is a great little amp but lacks the clean headroom of the Vintage Sound or Wonder Dawg.

Vibroluxman

Holy crap ! what a huge score !

I think I saw your post on another site when I was looking up information about my 6162.

You are about as lucky as anyone can get !!!

Enjoy that great Vintage Gretsch (Valco) Amp !!!
Thanks! I did have to put work into it (wrong OT, no power tubes, old caps, etc.) but I’m still in it around $190.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve owned a Tungsten Crema Wheat and have owned a Swart AST Pro for a few years now.

The CW was a cool high headroom tweed amp. It got some nice raunchy breakup when pushed and it was very well made. I missed reverb and trem with it, though.

The AST is a lifer for me - it was so good it replaced a vintage Vibrolux Reverb. From what I understand, it’s a brown era Fender preamp with Tweed power section. It sounds huge for the size, has respectable clean headroom (especially with a Celestion Alnico Gold), but gets a really rich overdrive - smoother than the CW. The trem is arguably the best I’ve heard, the reverb is it’s own thing (unlike a Fender where the reverb blends with the notes, the AST essentially sounds like it’s in parallel so it keeps the notes really punchy and defined).

Both the CW and AST are extraordinarily lightweight and hold their own for the size.

motokev

TK Imperial MK I is a purty light weight amp with trem and rev. I know, I have one.
I've seen used ones from $1400 to $1600

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
I’m a fan of the Goodsell Super 17 Mk3 or 4, as someone else mentioned. They are well made, sound great, and weigh 29 pounds in a 1x12 combo. Not as harsh as a Princeton can be, and have a master volume.

Trending Topics