lightweight, easy to play, well balanced ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluspwr, Aug 21, 2006.

1. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

Here lately it seems as though my body is getting older and just doesn't handle the demands of gigging as well as it once did. (both fret/chord hand and my shoulder)

Will a 24 3/4" scale guitar be physically easier to play than a standard strat scale?

Also, is there a well balanced, lightweight, comfortable guitar (not neck heavy) that is good quality that I might consider as an alternative to my standard American made Lone Star Strat (HSS pickups)? I don't use the tremolo bar, so that is not a requirement.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

See the Flaxwood thread a little lower, would match most of your requirements.

I don't think the scale length, at least 25.5" vs. 24.75" makes much of a difference in playability.

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Anderson Hollow Atom

4. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

The Atom sounds the most like a 25-1/2" scale of any 24-3/4" scale guitar I've ever heard. It might be partly due to the wraparound bridge. I feel a 24-3/4" scale guitar is definitely physically easier to play, significantly less tension making bends shorter and easier to press the strings down. You could try a conversion neck from Warmoth if you have a Fender that you really like. Les Paul Special type guitars are light and sound good if you like P-90s.

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

6. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

Hollow will definiitely help. If you are looking fro the 24 3/4" scale the hollow Atom is a good call. You may also want to consider a hollow Anderson Cobra. Like the Atom it has a 24 3/4"; however, they have been around longer so you may be able to score one used for a few less bucks. They also come with S and T style bodies. Coming from a Strat you may really dig the Cobra S. I would mention that I have played some hollow bolt ons that are bit necks heavy.

7. Luke V

Luke V Member

EJ Strat or a vintage LP Special.

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

My main guitar right now is a LP Special but reading your description make me think of the Hamer Artist Mahogany HB. The one I had was one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever had and it was LIGHT. Very crisp and snappy sounding, too. Some are a little neck heavy but some are more balanced than others.

9. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Look at the Ernie Ball Music Man lineup... The Silhouette Special, Axis Super Sport and Albert Lee models all offer something along the lines you're looking for. The guitars are small and light weight. And the playability is second to none - EBMM necks are among the smoothest and easiest playing on the market...

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I recently purchased a Fender Thin Skin Tele.
    Slightly over 6lbs. Highly recommended.

Also, a Hamer Studio Custom is a great choice. Mine weighs 7.4lbs

11. dzo

dzo Member

The Bolin NS is what you described according to my experience and the reviews. Very easy to play, under 7lbs without being hollowed out, and balances better than any guitar I have played.

[​IMG]

12. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

Lots of good ideas! I'm going to have to check some of these out.

13. hemlock

hemlock Guest

14. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

I know alot of folks here will baulk at this but what about a mahogany Parker Fly? - Not my cup of tea as a live guitar, but every time im in the shop I can't help pick one up for a play.

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

the best balancing guitar is a parker. hands down

16. klatuu

klatuu Member

Ditto. Can't go wrong there......

17. K-man

K-man Member

Try a Hamer Newport.

18. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Hehe, another vote for Hamer (Studio). Lighter than an LP, excellent warm tone, great upper fret access........................

19. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Take a swamp ash tele and plane 1/4 off the back. Finish it with one coat of watco clear oil. (you'll need shorter neck mount screws), get a warmoth 24.75 conversion neck, use only the lead pickup and wire it Esquire style. (I recomend the Duncan Broadcaster), light weight Kluson style tuners and you will love it.

20. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Absolutely. You just stab the corner of that upper horn into your chest and it'll stay there all night.

:rotflmao

-e.