Lightweight Guitar Suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregc510, Jul 27, 2006.

1. gregc510

gregc510 Member

I'm looking for suggestions for a lightweight guitar. I really like the sound and look of a Les Paul, but I just can't deal with the weight. My neck and back problems really prevent me from using a heavy guitar (and I don't like sitting down when playing). I almost bought a Les Paul Standard but didn't pull the trigger because of the weight. A friend suggested an SG, but I never really liked how those look.

I play blues and classic rock. Does anyone have suggestions for me? My budget is up to $1000. Thanks for help!

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Try Epiphones Les Paul ultra. It is about 5-6 lbs due to a chambered and shaped body. I think they sound pretty good too. Look nice as well.

3. A42

A42 Member

My LP Std weighs in at about 9# which feels heavy to me. LP Specials run around 8# or so. The new "faded" ones seem to be even lighter, you might want to check those out.

If you can find a USA-made Reverend (out of production) that would be a good way to go. They run around 6.5 lbs and have really killer necks.

4. gregc510

gregc510 Member

It's interesting to hear that the Les Paul Ultra is a pretty decent guitar - good price, so looks like I should check one out.

Re: Reverend Guitars - they don't make them in the US anymore? And does that mean the Korean made ones aren't as good?

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking Reverend too.

A Rocco or Slingshot used you could pick up for maybe $400 ... maybe less. They're not made of wood, but they play great and sound great. I have one of each of the ones I mentioned.

They're VERY light.

Dana O.

6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

7. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I doubt you'll find either for $1000 or less.

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, I read too fast and didn't see the $1,000 limit.

9. gregc510

gregc510 Member

Just checked it out on the 'net - the Bluesbird is a great looking guitar. Never heard of them before (not that that means anything...) - the sound is pretty sweet? And the build quality is good (stays in tune, intonated up the neck, etc.)?

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

How about a Danelectro. They are really light.

You can get a light telecaster around 6.5 lbs.

How about a Les Paul Jr.

:angel

11. jgyn

jgyn Member

12. gregc510

gregc510 Member

Rickdiculous - what's the neck like on the Bluesbirds? I have small hands, so chunky necks are a problem for me.

Straightblues - I love the sound of Danelectros - I have a DC59 - but I was hoping for a humbucker-equipped guitar. Although I love the sound of the neck pickup through my Princeton Reverb (and boosted with a Launch Pad)...it kills!

The Yamaha looks interesting - have to admit, Yamaha never even crossed my mind. After so many years, it's probably time to be open-minded about guitars, which I have to admit is not always easy for me. I tend toward the retro or classic looks (with the Dano hopefully falling under the retro category...)

13. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

There's a Blues 90 version of the Bluesbird with P-90s as well. I was looking for one a while back.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Parker Fly for sure. Makes everything else seem kinda wrong!

15. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

the neck is nice and chuncky but it is a killer guitar. I have one of the bluesbirds from the fender custom shop, and it is better than any LP i have ever played. (i too changed the duncans)

If you can find an older one they may have a little thinner neck. try one out if you can find one.

16. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Those Parkers are real light!

In that range, you could assemble a nice chambered Warmoth. I've done a few and this Green one is real light. Swamp Ash over Swamp Ash.
    [​IMG]

17. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I think the new PRS SE Singlecut is supposed to be fairly light.

That Yamaha also looks interesting--I saw one in a Guitar Center here but didn't have time to try it out.

18. 908SSP

908SSP Member

All my Parker Flys weigh right around 5lbs. They are also very well balanced never shifting when you let go. They use a thick music wire as truss rod that is there only to balance the pressure from the strings as the necks are made straight and covered front and back with a very thin layer of carbon, which is by far the strongest way of using carbon fiber. The layer of carbon on the back of the neck continues over the back of the body making the guitar very stiff and therefore giving the guitar lots of sustain. If you are at all inclined you should give one a whirl. They aren't for everyone but those that like them usually like them a lot. ;)

19. LaXu

LaXu Member

The lightest guitar I've ever played is a Basslab STD-Guitar. The tone didn't seem that great though I was using only a little solid-state amp at low volume (it was at the Helsinki Guitar Show) and the guitar is VERY plastic feeling (well it IS made of some sort of plastic composite). Light as a feather though.

The afore-mentioned Yamaha RGX A2 is pretty nice. The pickups aren't suited for high gain distortion but if that's not what you use, I highly recommend you try 'em. I think they sound pretty good and are definitely lightweight. I really like how they sound on clean tones and lighter gain tones. Very open and has good sustain but doesn't sound like a Les Paul. The battery in them is only used for the pickup selector lights, so they work without it if needed.
    Yamaha is IMO the most consistent builder of the big manufacturers. I own three Yamahas at the moment and am going to buy a Yamaha bass tomorrow. I like them a lot.

I don't know how light a guitar you're looking for, but you might try some of the Japanese LP copies like ESP/Edwards. They tend to be fairly light. http://www.katanaguitars.com has some and the weights are listed - around 8 lbs for a nice LP. They're excellent quality IMO.

20. 2012studios

2012studios Member

If you like the sound of a Les Paul, don't buy a Parker. Geeeez!

You will not get that sound, unless the guitar is heavy. You can get close... but no cigar.

Personally, i find the PRS Singlecut to be the bee's knees. Mahogany body, Mahogany set-neck. Slim design, a lot lighter than it looks. YMMV.

I also love Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Parkers, Godins, Brian Moore, Framus... you know... I love them all.

If it's Les Paul tone you're after, start by narrowing your search to Mahogany Bodies w/ Set Necks...

Good Luck