Lightweight Les Paul/Clones whatever

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sammy, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

Can anyone advise for my 16year son what s/h Gibson models/clones/copies are reasonably lightweight but are quality built and sound good and not too expensive. Also according to my friendly luthier it should have the maple top for the type of music he plays. Pickups can be changed no problem, the actual guitar build & tone is primary.

2. Mudder

Mudder Member

In the UK I'd take a look at the Vintage lineup of LP style guitars. Those get good reviews and seem a good deal as well.

3. Sammy

Sammy Member

Thanks but looking for something quite a bit better than a Vintage. Don't mind buying from US, I get most of my own gear from there!:)

4. rooster

rooster Member

Although I am a big Heritage fan, and would almost never push Gibson, one of my buddies has a hollowed-out (weight-relieved?) LP Studio with the crown inlays that plays and sounds fantastic. I think it would be even better with Bill & Becky Lawrence's pickups, but that's personal taste. It comes in at about 6 or maybe 7 lbs, pretty lightweight, but has a very nice crunch to it. The neck is great, a little thin for me, but people who like the LP Classics should take to it just fine. As it is a Studio, the price point on a used one shouldn't be too bad, if you can find one.

Of course, there are also the Heritage H-137's at Jay Wolfe's shop, which are more along the lines of an LP Special, but my buddies Gibson is pretty darned good. I like my Heritages better, but they definitely weigh a couple pounds more, more between 9 and 10 lbs.

rooster.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have a Gibson Les Paul Faded Special, its actually very light, I think it is chambered, paid $600 at GC new a few years ago. Really suprised me how light it was, you might check around, its a lot more fun than my Gibson Les Paul Custom which weighs a ton.

6. ?&!

?&! Member

I highly recommend searching Ebay for Orville, Burny, Tokai, Greco and Edwards guitars. They are all pretty much exact Gibson copies, and as long as they are Japanese-made, I actually like them better than 99% of real Gibsons I have played. Plus, you can get them for about 1/3 of what an equivalent Gibson costs. I bought an Orville '61 reissue SG ($700 shipped, with tons of hardware upgrades), and it was so good that I sold both of my '72 Gibson LPs almost immediately. A lot of the above manufacturers have switched their operations from Japan to Korea or China, so look on the ad to make sure it's actually Japanese. The other ones actually aren't too bad either, especially at the price. Good luck!

7. Thames

Thames Member

+1.

8. Sammy

Sammy Member

We have been looking at these, especially the Edwards which appear to be really good, but what about the weight! The weight is important, as knowing from experince a heavy guitar round your neck playing for several hours at a gig is not good. Over the years it has caused me problems and I myself only play lightweight guitars now, so I don't want my son suffering from bad neck/back conditions which they do cause. :(

Also I do think you get more resonance & tone out of a lighter quality wood!

9. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

The lighter wood= better resonance thing is not exactly true in my experience.

I had a chance to play 5 historics a while back. They weighed between 8lbs 2oz and 9 lbs 5 oz's.

The ones around 9lbs had a a much more rock 'n' roll tone with a much bigger bottom end and bigger midrange, the lighter ones lacked this oomph. I played a 10lb cutom as well......much oomph...

It was a shame, the lighest one was gorgeous but the sales guy told me it was hard to sell because when people plugged it in, it just didn't have the classic LP thing. It was more of a "moaner".

10. JimH

JimH Member

Hello - both these points are pretty debatable for a few reasons (I'll elaborate if you like but is there any point? If you want a light les paul you want a light les paul - fine. you could ask for a weight form the ebay seller if you're buying unseen. I'd tend to steer clear of old copies - good as they may be they're typically not light guitars.

Epi elite mentioned yet? If you're not looking at a Gibson there are a few options. If you're not looking at LP clone then hamer is a good bet. In your boat I'd seriously look at this for £750 shipping and tax:

[​IMG]

or this for £350 plus shipping and tax, no maple cap though.
    [​IMG]

11. ?&!

?&! Member

I know what you mean about heavy guitars. That's another reason I switched from LPs to SGs. A lot of the Japanese sellers list the weight in their description, and I've seen plenty of Japanese LPs (particularly black Customs) coming in around the 8 lb. range (approx. 3.75 kilos). You just gotta dig through all the ads. A lot of guys have 50+ killer guitars listed, so if you see a guitar you like, view the seller's other items, 'cuz there are far more brands out there than just the ones I mentioned. Good luck!

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Have you looked at Gordon Smith?

13. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Les Paul Special Faded DC does not have a maple cap, but, it is very light and the P90's in it sound really great. It is capable of any type music regardless of lacking a maple cap. Take him down to the local dealer and try one, actually, try a few different guitars in the style your son prefers that will work for his music even if not a Les Paul or clone.
    Best regards!

14. swampcaat18

swampcaat18 Member

Not an exact clone, but maybe check out the ESP ec1000.

15. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi Wheres that Hamer advertised for £750!

16. buchla300

buchla300 Member

+1
    If you are in the UK. Get one. GREAT guitars
    The non maple cap ones are brilliant but they do the graduate which has a maple cap.
    Buy British :dude
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany - light weight, better electronics than any clone or knock off and $800 new from Musicians friend.

18. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Edwards LP's are super light.

19. Sammy

Sammy Member

We tried a load of Les Paul type guitars up in Denmark Street today, including Gordon Smith, Gibson Standards, Classic, New lightweight Standard, Hamer, Duesenberg and PRS Single cut.

The PRS blew them all away the sound quality & playability was way better, though I quite liked the Duesenberg though not my sons type of sound, might get one of these myself!:)

Unfortuantely the PRS singlecut are much more expensive than he was looking for, so it looks like he will now have to save up a bit more!:puh

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Collings City Limits Deluxes come in at a little above 7 lbs to 8 lbs