Lighweight speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bad Back, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hey men,

Are any of you currently using a lightweight (neo?) speaker or speakers?

I’ve got this old 1x12 100 w combo (Soldano designed Yamaha) that I sometimes take to outdoor gigs. This is a very heavy rig and I’d like to try one of the lightweight speakers. Any suggestions?

TIA

2. Frosty

Frosty Member

I am using a jensen neo 12" spkr. Rated at 100 watts. can handle up to 200 watts. Extremely light, great tone. I love it.

3. billywade

billywade Member

I have no experience with the light stuff but I'm interested as well. I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread but how about the Celestion Century or whatever it's called?

4. aeolian

aeolian Member

I'd love to hear the Jensen sometime. A light cabinet would be great. I have played though the Celestion and found it somewhat harsh. Even compared to my Tonker. I think it was harsher than my memory of D120s. I seen it said here that the Jensen is much less harsh.

5. Frosty

Frosty Member

I don't find the Jensen to be overly harsh. Perhaps a wee bit on the bright side but that is why we have tone control knobs. Overall, it is very balanced.

6. Sammy

Sammy Member

You are right the Celestion is very harsh. I bought a Reverend Kingsnake and found the Jenson Neodyne also a bit harsh sounding but nowhere near as bad as the celestion. I changed it for a Red White & Blue, much better, but obviously added more weight!

7. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Everything I own (except a stock THD 2 12) has a Jensen Neo or Celestion Century Vintage speaker. They work for my ears and my back.

jon

8. scottl

scottl Member

I had a bud with a Celestion Century Vintage in a Fuchs combo over my house. I HATED the Century. Thin and harsh. Agree with Aeolian. We plugged into my other cabs and the difference in tone was shocking... No exaggeration. Fwiw, Emmy RWB speakers are very light as well. What is the big difference? Several pounds? Just sayin....

PS: It was not the amp. It was the speaker. We plugged my other amps into the Century as well.

9. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Thanks all for responding.

Say Bluesdoc, since you have both, do you find the Jensen's to be the better sound?

TIA

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a pair of Jensens in a sealed cab and they actually get a very greenback celestion sort of tone, not very Jenseny in my mind. Don't find them harsh, though...

11. bluesdoc

BB, that's hard to answer...... I used the Jensens exclusively for 2-3 yrs before trying the Century Vintage. And that was after using a Century non-vintage for a couple of years. The CV blew me away when I got my first one and that's the speaker I've put in everything since trying it about 8 months ago. This includes my Fargen channel switcher (BB + VOS/SCO) and another J Designs 1 12 cab. I guess I like the CV better but I haven't really A/B'd anything with the same amp, guitar, etc. It's a linear thing. I think I could live with either, but the CV has an edge that is hard to put into words, for me. Maybe just a bit chimier......

Coincidentally, I did a gig last night using my C30 with a Jensen Neo and it sounded great. I love choices....... :)

jon

12. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello Jon,

Thank you.

If you don't mind, what guitar and PU are you using when you play out?

BB

13. bluesdoc

Mostly my Soloway Swan with Bluesbucker pups (like silent p-90s, sort of....).

jon

14. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I bet you sound great. Those are magical guitars.

15. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I can't add much here except to say that my Reverend Goblin (22 lbs. total) has the 10" Jenson, and it's a very full and rich-sounding speaker for its size. It does have some upper midrange punch that can cause ear fatigue with certain amp settings, but it doesn't strike me as a harsh speaker overall. Mind, it did require some time to break in and loosen up in the low end.

I'm intrigued by the specs of the Century Vintage 12 but haven't had the opportunity to try one yet. Eminence should also be introducing neo versions of its Tonker and Texas Heat models any day now. This is the way of the future, so our choices should continue to expand. :)

16. backwater

backwater Member

I'm using the Century Vintage and find it pretty good. I'm using it with a Marshall DSL50 and a 1987 (JCM800) and find it sounds better than my G12T75 loaded cabs and on par with the G12H loaded cab. I get the 70's/80's rock sound I am looking for quite easily. The Jensen I can't comment on as they are pretty rare here in the UK so I haven't tried them!

:angel

17. Srini

Srini Guest

OK....OK....I'll change it soon!!!

Srini