1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Like a Blues Jr but not a blues Jr???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by houvin, Jan 18, 2008.

1. houvin

houvin Member

I'm looking to getting a 15 - 20 watt tube amp. One that will give me nice cleans with mild breakup. I don't like the Blues Jr. It seems too bright and lacking...uh...you know. My budget will be 500 and below. (I know that sound boring and uninteresting to most of you!

I really don't need or even want a bunch of knobs. The simpler the better. The only other criteria is that I definitely want a 12" speaker.

Oh, yeah...and I'm playing P90s, in case that helps.

I've considered the Velocette (Trace Elliot) 12R.

I'm using a borrowed Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I really really love the tone. I'm must not sure I want to go that big...but I might.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks!

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I like Fender Blues Deluxes; had one for a while and it was a lot of amp for the money. I liked it with dirt pedals, but I didn't really like the way it broke up when pushed. You may want to mod your Blues Junior; I think they sound very good stock, so maybe a slight mod and new speaker will do the trick. G12H30?

3. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I've played though a Traynor 20W amp which sounded pretty good to me. The AC15 is also pretty neat. The Tiny Terror is also a great sounding amp. Just three choices to think of.

4. houvin

houvin Member

I forgot to mention that I also use a Tim OD.

5. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

6. jec

jec Supporting Member

+1 on the tiny terror. Incredible value... Also +1 on the TIM with any bargain clean amp.

7. utterhack

utterhack Member

8. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Put a Cannabis Rex speaker in...and JJ tubes. Then do the Billm tonestack mod.

It will then be like a Blues Jr., but not a Blues Jr.

9. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Im pretty sure Nick at Rocketfire Guitars is comin out with a new amp. Only 2 knobs. It's in your price range... I havent heard it live, but the sound clips sound pretty rockin. Im prolly gonna order one and check it out.

Just email him at sales@rocketfireguitars.com .....

I think its on his website too.....

Also, I have a Crate V30 (they dont make them anymore) that I love! You can find em on ebay for really cheap.