Like a drug addict to drugs, I find a Fuchs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wahfreak, Mar 6, 2008.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

in Bangkok.

So me and my wife are vacationing in Thailand. We hop on a bus and head into downtown to meet my sister-in-law for lunch at a mall (World Trade Center). I'm walking through the mall and without trying I run into a music store that sells Fuchs, Anderson's, Orange etc. What are the chances?? I ditched the wife and and sister-in-law for a few minutes to have a look. I find out Thai's are not so keen on letting you try if you are not going to buy so I just looked and took a few pics. I just thought that would be the last place I would run into a Fuchs. I'll post pics later when we get back. The internet here is way too slow to upload pics.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm a legend in my family also for sniffing out music stores.

Been travelling through the Czech Republic in some smaller towns in the south, in Budapest, and many other places and suddenly I swear to god, I FEEL that there is a music store (almost like a weatherman "conditions are right for some reason in this neighborhood to find a music store") and sure enough, turn a corner and there is one.

In the Czech Republic I even had my Martin Travel guitar, and was definitely NOT looking for a guitar, but still found one, a Furch, made in the country, cedar body, and had to buy it. They really didn't speak any english either, so it was all hand signals, and pointing. I was playing some other major brand and the kid that worked there motioned me "you must try..." brought me over, squared his shoulders and held out his arms to a guitar, "made here!!" and it wasn't that it was even expensive, it was actually very inexpensive, meaning he wasn't guiding the perceived rich foreigner over to a big sale, he was genuinely proud of it, and seemed to think it would work well with what I was playing on the other guitar.

It has been one of my favorite guitars since.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

They look cool on the website. How does it play? What would you compare it to? Lastly, do you know of any domestic sales locations?

Bill

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Did a little research myself...here is a link for anyone that may be interested in getting some more info on these guitars.

BTW, thanks for the original post, the guitars are very interesting.

b

5. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I'm going to Prague for a few days this summer.
    Where was the music store located?

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

bilbal, do you mean me or wahfreak?

If it is me, and you are referring to those Czech guitars, I see them in a local store here in Norway, but I believe I have actually seen some in the US in a guitar store, that might have been "Guitar Center".

Mine plays pretty well, I've had to adjust the neck, and the bridge is designed to raise a little, but I ended up having to glue it down as it raised a bit too much after a few years. It has no pickguard, and an interesting thing, I found out that the classic pickguard shape on an acoustic is not some design issue where they made it a more pleasing shape, I actually can see wear and tear in exactly (no more no less) the same pattern like a misshapen teardrop, where the wood is more grainy now and a thin "oil" from the fingers shows when you raise against the sun.

The guitar is no Martin or anything, but it has a unique sound, I think works best for my style of fingerstyle blues, flatpick blues, and all...the bass note 6th string rings out very nicely and forcefully, and it has a sweet tone.

If it wasn't me you meant, apoligies for the long post.

7. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

8. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

I know the place, also the Soldano dealer for Thailand. They are out of World Trade now, rents must have been pretty high when you're right next to Body Shop and Timberland in one of the biggest malls in Asia.

You were also around the corner from a Gibson/Fender/Musicman dealer who has some of the best value Gibbo custom shops on the planet..... and another shop that is the Ovation dealer with a bunch of old Hamers still in stock.

Thailand has a HUGE original music scene full of wonderfully talented people that sell shedloads of CDs and make good money touring, so there's a big market for high end gear despite it being a relatively poor country.

I just got told I've been posted to Bangkok yesterday (makes sense because I spend most of my time there anyway) and am freaking out about finding guys to play with in the English language music scene which is quite small.

Hey did you see the EVH buses while you were there? They always crack me up.