Like a Fender 62 AVRI Stratocaster but with 9.5" radius?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axdxm, May 26, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

I have a 62 AVRI Strat, that I love in every way, except for fretting out on the 7.25" radius neck. Is there a Fender model that is pretty much just like it except for the neck radius? I like the nitro finish, sunburst, rosewood fretboard and the AVRI pickups. Or should I just buy a 9.5" radius neck...or is it worthwhile to get a refret and re-radiusing done?

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

There are older Fender AVRI models that are called "Hot Rod" models, and they featured all of the same appointments as their other AVRI counterparts, except they featured a 9.5" fingerboard radius, and medium jumbo frets.

Vintage mentality, modern playability. Fender doesn't make them in the current AVRI line, but you can find them used fairly easily.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I did and I like the result. But then I got my AV 62 used so the added cost wasn't quite as bad a hit. I got mine done with a 7.25 to 9.5 compound radius fretboard and larger frets. One thing to remember, you probably won't get the money back in resale. A replacement neck you may be able to sell later on if you need to. And you might want to have your neck checked by a good tech. 7.25 necks with no issues can be set up to play well. Maybe a fret dress will take care of you. That won't fix the small frets though.

hunter

4. davess23

davess23 Member

I agree with the above post that you can set up a 7.25 to play well. I have an older AV62 Strat and a good setup was all it needed. The vintage radius works just fine for me. I'm not that crazy about the old style frets, but apparently I was willing to put up with them for several years-- now they're worn out and I'll just replace them with larger ones.

5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Look at wildwood guitars. They had some 54 thin skins (albeit with a maple board) that has a 9.5 . I have a 59 thin skin that has a rosewood with a 9.5. The others are right , a good setup might be the ticket.