Like a G12H-30 Anniversary but with less highs?

TP Parter

Why not go with the 55hz Heritage. Those and the 75hz Heritage are my 2 favorite Celestions.

I have an issue with the G12H30 Anniverary and V30 too. They both just sound cold and harsh to my ears. The Mesa OEM is the best of the V30 family, but even with those I hear it. I do love them for some things, but heavier tones with a healthy amount of dirt/fuzz are not at all usable to me. Once you get them flapping some they flatten out and lose their ****, woof out on the lows and get ragged and harsh in the highs. And by driven hard I mean a Mesa Tremoverb with the master near max hitting a quad. The G12H Heritages do not, not the 75hz, and for sure not the 55hz. Driven hard they sing, and have a sweet open, woody grain to the breakup, not a cold hard metallic one. They flatten out a bit, but no more than V30s to my ears, and the compression is sweet and musical. I have the 55hz's with some AXA12's in my Mesa Trad 4x12. 100% improvement over the stock V30's.

Last edited:

abnerfm

Why not go with the 55hz Heritage. Those and the 75hz Heritage are my 2 favorite Celestions.
Actually, I did it. But I must say I was very surprised that the Heritage G12H 55 Hertz ("bass cone") sounds very, and I mean VERY similar to the regular G12H-30 70th Anniversary, just a hair smoother. On the other hand, the Heritage G12H 75 Hertz ("lead cone") tames the highs, which is something I didn't expect since it has the lead cone. Anyways, it's been almost 2 years since I got them and I have no desire to replace speakers anymore, at least for classic Marshall tones.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member

I have an issue with the G12H30 Anniverary and V30 too. They both just sound cold and harsh to my ears. The Mesa OEM is the best of the V30 family, but even with those I hear it. I do love them for some things, but heavier tones with a healthy amount of dirt/fuzz are not at all usable to me. Once you get them flapping some they flatten out and lose their ****, woof out on the lows and get ragged and harsh in the highs. And by driven hard I mean a Mesa Tremoverb with the master near max hitting a quad. The G12H Heritages do not, not the 75hz, and for sure not the 55hz. Driven hard they sing, and have a sweet open, woody grain to the breakup, not a cold hard metallic one. They flatten out a bit, but no more than V30s to my ears, and the compression is sweet and musical. I have the 55hz's with some AXA12's in my Mesa Trad 4x12. 100% improvement over the stock V30's.

Do yourself a favor and contact Jim at Scumback. His speakers tame these irritating characteristics of Celestion speakers.

ekkybedmond

Actually, I did it. But I must say I was very surprised that the Heritage G12H 55 Hertz ("bass cone") sounds very, and I mean VERY similar to the regular G12H-30 70th Anniversary, just a hair smoother. On the other hand, the Heritage G12H 75 Hertz ("lead cone") tames the highs, which is something I didn't expect since it has the lead cone. Anyways, it's been almost 2 years since I got them and I have no desire to replace speakers anymore, at least for classic Marshall tones.
Yeah, everytime I try a 55-speaker, I find it's just as bright, or agressive' as 75hrtz speakers.

On topic: my Reinhardt G12H-75, 65W (by WGS) is the best 75' speaker I've tried.

71strat

Scumback for more original sounding Celestion Pulsonic Cone speakers, and the SB are more in order vs sensitivity. Modern Celestions are more sensitive vs originals. Not saying a more efficient speaker doesnt sound good, but to be inline with an original they need to be 97-98db vs 100db

150w Celestion G12H Redback is an awesome speaker, and can take 150w.

100w Rawson Sparfield is a great speaker, and does everything from clean to mean. Is an original recreation of the original Fane Cresendo A. Found in those old WEM cabinets. Just as Dave Gilmour./Early Pink Floyd, and he still uses the originals.
30hz-16,000hz frequency response. 70 Resonant Frequency/fs.

YES you read that right.
30hz-16,000hz, 70fs, and a Ceramic magnet that weighs 20lbs, and is 1/3 more powerful than a JBL E120 as far as Gauss. 20,000 vs 13,500. 2 inch voice coil.

TP Parter

Do yourself a favor and contact Jim at Scumback. His speakers tame these irritating characteristics of Celestion speakers.
I know enough people sound fantastic through his speakers that I would be able to find a speaker that sounds great. But ALL of my other speakers are high efficiency, and really the past 27 years I have grown accustomed to and made the vibe of high efficiency, and mostly higher powered speakers a part of my tone. The Heritage Celestions being my lowest powered speaker, and tied for least efficient with my EVM12L's. Coincidentally I love them both paired with my Fane AXA12's. I use both of them to bolster the Fanes slightly softer alnico lows and highs, while the AXA12 adds thick ripping mid grind and smooth treble rolloff.

I do need one more high efficiency speaker (101-103 db) to pair with the Fane Medusa 30 (102 db I believe) I have in my open back 2x12. Thinking of grabbing an 8ohm ceramic SRO, so I can compare it to my alnico SRO's, and 30+ year old EVM12L's. Truthfully I have become quite enamored with the alnico SRO's, and if the right deal pops up on an original or recone I would probably just grab that. They are without equal imo, and the only guitar speakers I have heard that can do it all and sound exceptional across the board.

Don't get me wrong. I love Greenbacks, as well as some of WGS's and Weber's offerings, but trying to blend low efficiency drivers and high efficiency drivers is difficult. The lower efficiency speakers (below 99 db) seem to get lost or sound flat in comparison at loud volumes. Play them by themselves and they sound great. Next to my SRO's, Fanes (AXA12, Medusa 30, Studio 12L, and Crescendo), or louder Celestions they mostly disappear, and do not have the same dynamic and unencumbered response.

mallcorn

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah but $$$
I hear that "excuse" all the time. Once you spend the money, you forget about the price because you are too focused on how happy you are with the product. By keeping it longer, the value is even better. If you go the cheap route, you are never happy, and complain about the product you bought, and probably start trading again for something else.

71strat

Rawson Sparfield Starfinder. Done. Cleanest most clear speaker made today.
Repro of Fanes best ever speaker.

Cresendo A 100w
30hz-16,000
20,000 Gauss... 1/3 more powerful than a JBL E120
70fs
Does everything from clean, to mean. Just ask dave Gilmour. He uses the Original Cresendo As in his WEM cabinets.
Magnetized on the original machine Fane used.
Is not a cheap speaker, and is 20+lbs. Heavier than an EV12L, or JBL E120. E120 is heavier than a 12L.

SPEAKERS | Rawson Sparfield
Rawson Sparfield high quality loudspeakers and cabinets recreate the Floyd sound with Harry Joyce Amplifiers

hungry4des

I found my H30 Anniversary to be too fizzy with my Marshall amps, but once broken-in, I absolutely loved it with my Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (now sounds like SRV\Jimi), which had a V-type. The V-type would flub out in the open-back cabinet, but sounds great in a mixed 4x12 with a H75 CREAM, 35XC, and T75. The Fender has way huge bass response. The H75 tickled my ear the wrong way in a 50W open-back Marshall combo, similar but smoother than the the way a V30 does. Ended up with a M65 Creamback in the Marshall combo. The Heritage H speakers are smoother too. I also found the 55hz to be brighter than the 75hz but still smooth and musical. I tried a modern 25W GB and a EVH GB in the Fender, which were nice in their own way, but after hearing the H30 Anniversary I preferred it. It adds its own character and break-up, like the cone is less stiff, which surprised me. Ended up mixing the EVH with an Alnico Blue (a match made in heaven).

Trending Topics