• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Like a Rectifier, but...

Archon...

Archons are great amps, but I'm not sure I'd put them in Recto territory, exactly. I find the clean channel kinda flimsy compared to the blackface Fenderesque robustness of the Recto cleans, and the gain channel can have something of a Voxy snort that I think is very cool but isn't that Rectofied. Still, maybe you've spent more time dialing them in than I have.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
Archons are great amps, but I'm not sure I'd put them in Recto territory, exactly. I find the clean channel kinda flimsy compared to the blackface Fenderesque robustness of the Recto cleans, and the gain channel can have something of a Voxy snort that I think is very cool but isn't that Rectofied. Still, maybe you've spent more time dialing them in than I have.
I don't think anyone would say an Archon is Voxy on the drive channel. It was designed to be Recto killer and fix some of the things people did not like about Rectos. Goes to show you we all hear it differently..

I don't think anyone would say an Archon is Voxy on the drive channel. It was designed to be Recto killer and fix some of the things people did not like about Rectos. Goes to show you we all hear it differently..

That's interesting, yeah. I'm a big midrange guy, and when I turn up the mids on the Archon, I've definitely gotten a bit of that AC-30 grunt. It probably wouldn't be that pronounced if I weren't comparing it to a Rectifier, fwiw.

A friend of mine swears the PRS tremonti 15 is basically this.

One note on the Tremonti 15, depending on what your volume needs are: I've been told the master volume goes from "nothing" to "loud" very quickly, so maybe not the best home-use amp.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member

No offense or sarcasm meant here, but are you sure you played an Archon? Flimsy is the last word I’d use for the clean channel, and I’ve never heard any Vox similar to the Archon, either....different animals altogether.

Maybe something was off about the particular amp you played? Archons were one of the first things to pop in my head on reading the OP.

Either way, interesting to think about, and we do all hear things a bit differently!

No offense or sarcasm meant here, but are you sure you played an Archon? Flimsy is the last word I’d use for the clean channel, and I’ve never heard any Vox similar to the Archon, either....different animals altogether.

Maybe something was off about the particular amp you played? Archons were one of the first things to pop in my head on reading the OP.

Either way, interesting to think about, and we do all hear things a bit differently!

It was definitely an Archon, but I've got no idea what speakers it was running through on the guitar-shop cab, so maybe they really colored the sound? It's strange: I just checked a couple Youtube Archon demos, and they sound nothing like what I remember, but I'm 100% sure I played an Archon.

chance0

Mesa Triple Crown is where it's at. Best (and weirdly not talked about nearly enough) amp Mesa has made in years.

I dunno, here's a clip showing a Recto and 5150 III 50w El34 sounding extremely similar.

That's why I never take videos on youtube seriously. I've never felt a Recto that's felt like a 5150 III. The bottom end is completely different. The 5150 is astoundingly tight and the upper mids snarl. The Recto just sounds like a wall of punishment. The feel alone makes me play wildly different music.

And that's why I inquired about getting both sounds in one amp. Clearing out the stable around here...

I have tried an Archon, and it was huge sounding, but not fizzy. I love that mess upstairs on the Recto. But the Archon made me want it—but for a different application.

I'm not sure about bass/tightness on this one, but I just heard a Revv Generator 100 for the first time, and it's got that metallic upper fizz for days. One to check out there, I think.

Axe-Man

The Archon gain ch has no Vox in it IMPO. The 50 I tested had very, very dry gain, which was surprisingly fizzy (bright cap on - very dark with it off) and it lacked saturation if you’re trying to avoid the fizz (I tested with the Archon 4x12 V30 cab). Archon has a lovely clean; far nicer than a DR. Very hifi clean. I thought the MT15 was more aggro myself. My MT15 had an excellent MV and could be played very quietly...but it didn’t sound right without big iron volume ironically (not enough high end or midrange until the power section started working - it got tighter at volume too). Sounded huge through a 4x12 ‘at volume’ (9-10 o’clock on the MV) but sounded pretty average through a 1x12. Loop was solid and not noisy unlike some others. Archon loop seems to be pot luck. The MT15 is the best small metal amp for the money without question. But, it does make you question using a small amp when it needs big amp volume to shine.

ROV25 and Mini Rec are definitely not Dual Rectifiers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom