Like a Super Duper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bnwhtlw, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bnwhtlw

bnwhtlw Member

So, I played my buddy's super duper and it fattened my tone in ways that I deemed pefection.

It wasnt as overdriven as it was just full sounding.

Are there other pedals out there that offere similar results.

Pardon my remedial effect knowledge.

2. Shane Regal

Shane Regal Member

You might want to try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.
    That'll boost the input on your amp. And it's relatively inexpensive... compared to the Super Duper. I really like that pedal too. I'm a sucker for killer od pedals. Unfortunately, no one around here carries ZVEX. I did just buy a Fulltone OCD, and a Xotic BB Preamp pedal. Both are killer OD/Booster pedals.

3. jjones

jjones Member

4. Bradders

Bradders Member

Hey bnwhtlw,

why not save a buck or 2 and get the Super Hard-On from ZVEX.

Basically the Super Duper is 2 cascaded Hard-ons into one another - or the other way -the SHO is like one side of a super duper - but w/o the master volume.

I had a SHO for years before the 2:1 and LOVED It - it just adds life to the guitar. I think it's quite a bit different to my ears than the Duncan Pick Up Booster -- jsut my 2c though. THe Vex is much more natural sounding a boost.

If you don't have the dough or teh inclination for a 2:1 then the SHO is a great alternative.
    cheers
    Bradz

5. bnwhtlw

bnwhtlw Member

I do want a Super Duper and IM trying to find one used...I am less interested in the Overdrive aspect...it just fattened my tone so very nicely.

Id love to try the SHO

6. Bradders

Bradders Member

Cool -- I was just pointing out the SHO does the same thing - but for less bucks so think of it as an alternative perhaps. It may be that the SHO is actually more in line with what you want if you don't want the additional "channel" of teh second side of the Super Duper?

Happy hunting

7. mustangman

mustangman Member

im looking into trading my SHO for a keeley katana (sp?) boost, the SHO just makes my tone too bright and i like the push/pull knob feture on the keeley.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I want to try an SHO. It sounds like it will do the trick in the clean boost department.

The Klon definitely does that very well, but only for my tweed type amp (Clark Tyger). I've found that clean boost pedals vary greatly in effectiveness amp to amp. For example, the Klon worked OK, not great, on a BFSR. On a BFDR, couldn't get an acceptable result. Meanwhile, on the Clark it sounds amazing ... can't plug in without it. Same deal on a SFTR I tried it with. Now I'm trying out a Clark Gainster for clean boost. Same, thing, some amps it works well with, others not.

9. Bradders

Bradders Member

Mad Dog - I've yet to hear/play an amp that either the SHO or teh 2:1 doesn't work well with. It is w/o doub tthe best and most vibrant clean boost I've ever heard - and I've hear da few. Thre's no "disrt" to what it does ( the SHO, that is) it just makes things bigger and adds a sparkle to things that just sounds amazing.

I can't praise it enough - once you try one I am sure you'll know what I mean despite not articulating it overly well. I know of guys who have a great guitar and set up and think they've found nirvana - then add the SHO and end up leaving it on ALL THE TIME!

It sounds that good.
    cheers
    Bradz