Like a Tim, but not...

treeuh

I had a Timmy a while back, and I'm trying to get a Tim to see if it fits me better... but I remember the Timmy just didn't cut through with what I was playing at the time... I'm playing a different role in a different band, and I'm looking for something that does what a Timmy/Tim does (low-mid gain, boost characteristics), but not a Tim/Timmy...

Is there anything like this? Maybe a little easier to find? lol

Thanks.

PS - I'm playing a Nash Tele Deluxe Custom (Lollar single coil in bridge, Fender humbucker in neck) of a Gretsch with Filtertrons into an Orange AD30HTC. Playing modern worship and alternative/indie rock

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
What didn't you like about the Timmy when you had it? I would try an N.O.C.3 Fx Pure Drive, or Catalinbread SilverKiss.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
NOC3 Rock Candy is what you are after.
+1 on the NOC3 Rock Candy if you need low gain. We cover a lot of Third Day and other country-rockish type stuff and the Rock Candy does nicely. The NOC3 Pure Drive is another good pedal that picks up where the Rock Candy leaves off with a little overlap maybe. I don't have my Timmy yet but will better be able to compare the two in less than a week (hopefully :)) Keep in mind that the Rock Candy is low gain.

treeuh

What didn't you like about the Timmy when you had it? I would try an N.O.C.3 Fx Pure Drive, or Catalinbread SilverKiss.
It just didn't quite cut through and it seemed a little thin. When I'd turn up the level it wouldn't get loud, it'd just get fizzy. When I had it on outside of playing with everyone else, it sounded good, but I couldn't justify having a pedal I never used in a set... Traded it for an Expandora II + cash... not the best deal in retrospect :\ I'd like to do that one again...

Anyway, I'll check out the ones listed... keep the suggestions coming, I love checking out new pedals!

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Listen to the clips for a Jetter Jetdrive (there are several on YouTube). I really like mine with my teles and Filtertron loaded guitars, and now that Brad has upped the gain available it will be even more versatile.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
The Menatone Blue Collar surprised me. Turns out to be an excellent clean boost. Not TIM/Timmy like.

MD

IRG

SHOD cb. Great sounding pedal, should cut through the mix for you, easy to find now at a great price.

Solideogloria

It just didn't quite cut through and it seemed a little thin. When I'd turn up the level it wouldn't get loud, it'd just get fizzy.

I have a Tim and I play mostly lead for our worship and what you're describing doesn't sound right. Possibly something was wrong...

What parts do you play? Lead? Rhythm? What sound are you looking to accomplish?

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to keep it far away from TS-style drive...
A Hot Cake with your rig will give you plenty of low end, a nice mid range voice and an excellent taper of gain, from clean boost to overdrive to distortion, to borderline fuzz. The dirt on a Hot Cake is less transparent and a bit more dynamic than a Tim and far thicker. With a good tube amp the Tim sounds fantastic, although with a blackface it can be a little too neutral with the lower mids. I just partnered my Tim with a Fromel and it's unreal. I would think the Tim/Timmy would slay with your rig. I find the Tim a little easier to dial in with the added boost. I love the stick on the exterior to switch clipping, it really adds a lot of options - and the loop is a great feature also.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
A Hot Cake with your rig will give you plenty of low end, a nice mid range voice and an excellent taper of gain, from clean boost to overdrive to distortion, to borderline fuzz. The dirt on a Hot Cake is less transparent and a bit more dynamic than a Tim and far thicker. With a good tube amp the Tim sounds fantastic, although with a blackface it can be a little too neutral with the lower mids. I just partnered my Tim with a Fromel and it's unreal. I would think the Tim/Timmy would slay with your rig. I find the Tim a little easier to dial in with the added boost. I love the stick on the exterior to switch clipping, it really adds a lot of options - and the loop is a great feature also.
+ 1 on the Hotcake. I recently picked one up and it's fantastic.

bigredhaus

Take a look at the Ghost Drive by JHV3 ... www.jhv3.com. More versitile than the TIM. I hope to pull the trigger on one soon and believe it will replace the TIM that's been on my board for five+ years.

treeuh

I have a Tim and I play mostly lead for our worship and what you're describing doesn't sound right. Possibly something was wrong...

What parts do you play? Lead? Rhythm? What sound are you looking to accomplish?
I have to cover both- that said, where I used to play really butchered my tone coming through the in-ears and wedges (makes it more shrill... hmm)... thus me wanting to try to try it again :p

I like the looks of the Jetdrive and Hotcake.. just don't have any cash :\ only trades.. ugh..

Trending Topics