Like an OCD but much tighter bass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hamfist, Feb 18, 2009.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm looking for something to pair with my AC Booster, which I use for lower gain, marshally tones. Just got an OCD, but will return it. it's a nice pedal , but much too loose in the bass, once you get the gain knob over halfway for me. Palm mutes are just loose and flubby.

So, what's similar to an OCD but much tighter in the bass, for JCM800/Jubilee-type tones.

2. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

bb preamp. i was gonna say that when i got in here... now seeing the part about the ac booster, you know it'll be perfect.

3. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

Maybe some of Barber's stuff?

4. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

^^^^ Yeah, check out Barber's line. They retain a lot of bottom end.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

It's not the amount of bottom end I'm not happy about with the OCD, it's the looseness of it.
    But, yes perhaps the Direct Drive is another candidate.

6. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I returned my OCD, and bought a Direct Drive. Basically, my pedal search went like this:
    Crunchbox (too compressed)
    Lovepedal E6 (way too bright)
    Older Rat (pretty cool, too muddy though)
    OCD (Much better than the Rat, I would own it again)
    Fatboost (Had the boost thing already covered)
    Direct Drive (Thought I was getting rid of it, plugged it in yesterday... it stays...)

I think this will do what you are wanting it to do, it's a great pedal!!

7. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I hate flubby bass. Thats the main reason i never got on with mesa amps, however i don't see the ocd as having a flubby low-end. It's not the best pedal to run into a jcm800, i like tubecreamer pedals much more for that application. Ocd is best , i think, for cleaner amps. BB preamp is great for BOTH clean amps and Jacking up the input of an already hot amp. It's a little more versatile than the ocd, though i really like the ocd's also.

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I'd also say the BB Preamp.

9. hamfist

hamfist Member

Some interesting opinions, guys.

I'm a bit concerned that the Direct Drive will be a bit "American" for me. The clips I've heard are certainly that way inclined.
    The BB pre-amp's are VERY expensive at the moment over here in the UK, so I'll probably give that a miss, although it does sound like what I am looking for.
    I've just borrowed a Fulltone GT-500 from a friend, which I remember liking a lot when I was with him testing it out. They are also significantly cheaper than BB pre-amp's here in the UK.

Oh, BTW, all these pedals would be run into a clean, "vintagey" Marshall-type amp.

10. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

There are similar choices, but I am perplexed in that the BB Preamp and Crunchbox are NOTHING like the OCD. They are almost a totally different vibe of gain and feel.

The closest things I have played are possibly the Box of Rock, which IS FLUBBY as well, and the Lovepedal Modern Plexi #2. Lovepedal might have a similar model they still make. Though I have not used one, the Crowther HotCake strikes me as smilar based on samples. The Barber pedals might also be another place to look.

11. alanwf

alanwf Member

I'd try the Holy Fire. No flub in the bass at all; may not have the distortion range that you want though. I've only played it into my Top Hat (Royale) and an older bassman though┬Śno experience into a Marshall.

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Maybe try an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe.

13. Jack

Jack Member

I think the GT-500 is worth another try if you're not sure. Bass is tighter, more adjustable, and the GT is very touch sensitive.
    OCD has this touch sensitivity/spongey thing that I think is a little hard to get to. Maybe a Hotcake, more compressed, but tighter bass.

14. hamfist

hamfist Member

Tried a GT-500 again this morning - OK, definately tighter in the bass, but there was just something in the quality of the distortion that I didn't like. SO that was off the list.

Blue Boy Deluxe .... I have one - just horrible into a clean amp, but one of the best, most versatile boosts that I have ever experienced !

Went to a shop and played a few today - walked away with an MI Audio Tube Zone.

WHat a great pedal ! Really versatile. Has a huge, usable gain range. Very impressed so far. Good, low noise floor too ! I'll be rehearsing with it, with the band this evening, so we'll see how it goes then. I have high hopes though.

Oh, honourable mention goes to the SPF Red Threat. I really, really liked this pedal, although it was not as versatile as the Tube Zone. I would have bought the Red Threat if it's noise floor had not been quite so high. Maybe it was a bad'n ? Great tone though !

15. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

16. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

For tight bass and palm mutest the Marshall Shredmaster is awesome (or BYOC SHredder).

17. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hmmmm .. yes I considered both of those. May try one out someday.

18. Stratosfear

Stratosfear Supporting Member

Maybe a different OCD Version would suit you? I have a V1 and compared to my buddies V3, the V1 was much tighter in the low end, where as the V3 I felt had too much low end at almost any setting.

19. Ming Chow

Ming Chow Senior Member

I just read the 1st post. How about running the OCD at 18v?

20. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

Maybe try building the BSIAB2 from GGG?