Liked my London fuzz, but want something a little brighter...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sws2h, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sws2h

sws2h Supporting Member

I just sold my MJM London Fuzz, which I like but I found the tone a bit too dark, especially when volume on the guitar was cranked. Mine didn't have a bias knob.

I'm wondering if something like a Sun Face BC183 would give me a similar tone but with a more top end when cranked. Or, is there a certain germanium transistor used in a Fuzz Face that's a little brighter?

2. murraythek

murraythek Member

Bc 108 or 183 would fit the bill . I have the Sunface BC 108 and I don't find it overly bright, but brighter than any germ fuzz I have played.

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have a Germanium London that I love. My Sunface BC108 is definitely brighter and more cutting, but still warm and very dynamic. I love them equally.

4. misc1600

misc1600 Member

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

This is exactly what I use a Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss for. In theory, it's a Germanium hybrid Muff (giviing it Fuzz Face-like breakup characters) but, between the pre knob and three-band EQ, I can (and do) easily dial it in to sound like a Fuzz Face with some really nice top. (Doesn't do clean up as well as a FF.)

If you're afraid to buy a Muff (don't be!), the Deep Trip BOG is a Fuzz Face with good tone controls and bias knob. It's also pricier. -E

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

I just got a London Fuzz Ge in the mail today. In the short time I had to experiment with it using single coils I am extremely impressed. It does get a little wooly with the guitar volume on max. I simply dialed back the fuzz knob to roughly 2:00 and have the level knob slightly higher 3:00-3:30. I absolutely love the different shades of dirt, sparkle, and bite. For leads it sounds great with a nice violin tonal quality using the neck pup.

I am also using a TIM set clean after the London Fuzz which gives me some EQ flexibility with the treble knob. The only thing I wish the London had is a battery shutoff switch which I am accustomed to using with my Monsterpiece Ge.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. sws2h

sws2h Supporting Member

Grab a Sun Face BC183 off the emporium, should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it's just what I need. I'll probably grab another London fuzz later, it was be great have around for recording but I'd like a fuzz face on my live rig and it was just a bit too dark

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have owned a couple of London Fuzzes and I know exactly what you mean about wanting a little brighter. The Analogman TI/UK fits the bill perfectly, but so does his lower cost GE standard Ge Sunface. The GE is actually my favorite Sunface and I have owned them all except the BC109.