Likes/Dislikes of the Tonebobe Classic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

When I had the tonebone classic, I thought it was pretty good, but I thought it was harsh sounding...well, around the house anyway. But when I played out with it, I started the gig with my TS-9 setup and half way through the show, I plugged in the Tonebone Classic...instant reactions from the crowd! Thinking back, it really does cut through and sings for days! But, alas, I sold it for another pedal. Recently, I took out an old band recording and, man, the thing really did sound like power tubes overdriving, with some sweet overtones! What is the experience with others on the page?

Mike

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I liked it but had issues with it being inconsistent from gig to gig. It also took a bunch of space up on my pedalboard and needed a 15 volt adapter.

I got rid of it but it was a great pedal for sure.

3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I love it, just wish it wasn't so big...

4. Goku13

Goku13 Member

It's a great pedal, but I didn't use it cause I liked the Hot British better. :)

The sound quality was great, its just that with tonebones you have to worry about the crappy footswitch wearing out and the whole "picking up radio stations" thing. Never happened with any of my other pedals, but the hot british is its own radio sometimes. And I went through 3 of them and they all had the footswitch problem, so I assume the Classic also would have that issue.

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Tried a HotBritish and really hated it. Too harsh. But I love the Classic. it's a kinda sweet distortion. Haven't had any problems with the switch or radio pickup or anything like that. Any of you play with different tubes in there? Mine's stock, but I'm wondering what others are using and if it really makes that much difference.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    One of the best distortion pedals I have found, I love it. By changing the tube you can change the sound of the pedal, so that gives you some other options too. I highly recommend it!

TheGrooveking

7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

didn't dig it..lack of bass response and once the switch started going out...was done with it...

8. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

For me...

Hot British

Pros.
    Nice midrange, very natural and juicy.
    All the distortion you could want.
    Sat in a stage mix well.
    Above average EQ.
    Tube changes for different sounds. (Although the changes were not as dramatic as with a true "all tube" pedal.)

Cons
    rolled off the bass a bit too much for me.
    EQ wasn't intuitive. The preset midrange curves were way over stated IMO.
    Wall wart.
    Switch.
    All the distortion you could want. Sometimes too much.
    Board hog.

A pretty cool pedal worth keeping but for me there are better choices.

9. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

y'all do know that it uses diodes for distortion, and just runs the signal through the tube for "warmth", right?

10. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

How would you compare the TB to a Butler Tube Driver?

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I found some overlap from Tube Driver and Tonebone Classic, but TB has wider EQ choices and more natural feel. That said, the funny power requirement and large size knock it off board.

Good idea, but need some re-engineering.

That said, another very big pedal has my eyes: Seymour Duncan Twin Tube. That sounds and feel good and uses 9 volt supply (that it regulates up for the tubes). Sounds more open than Tonebone. Nice! But Way huge (/jk).

DS