Lil Big Muff.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Birddog, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

I wanted to love this pedal. I am a basement tinkerer and have many pedals, but everything that gets Velcro'd to my board arrives there with the idea that it will get gigged with.

I had the EHX Lil Big Muff on my board for several weeks of trial runs at home. It seemed a little noisy, no matter where I put it. I ran it once during a gig and ended up cutting it out, due to noise. At gig volumes it was unbearable.

As I said, I'm a tinkerer and I tried it EVERYWHERE on my board. First last, and every slot in between. It just hissed and spit and was mind numblingly noisy.

I like the pedal. I like the tone while playing, but in between, even during half-note rests, the Lil Big Muff just drove me mad. I don't mind a little ambient noise, but that was ridiculous. The only other pedal that even came close to that level of annoying noise was the MOD Phaser. Also a great effect and a well made pedal, but just noisy as hell during those quieter moments.

I know the Lil Big Muff is a popular pedal around here, and was surprised how much I hated it. Thoughts?

2. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

My thoughts? Good luck selling your pedal now! LOL

3. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

My LBM is one of my quieter fuzz pedals, and that's with the gain at 75%. Maybe something's amiss?

4. IAE

IAE Member

you mean RI or orig?

the RI aint noisy at all,use it with a battery as it only draws 4.5mA. the RI is VERy similar to the ramshead muff in sound btw.

the orig is cool but it sux having no tone knob imo.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

LOL> The thought has crossed my mind that it might not be quite right. And to address another post, it's an RI, not an original.