Lil' Dawg 2x10 tweed combo? Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, May 21, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

does anyone know anything about these amps? i can't find anything when i do a google search. worth new? Used? tone? reliability? etc??? Thanks

Denny

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I don't personally know anything, but there has been a fair amount of discussion over at the www.fenderforum.com in the miscellaneous forum.
    Good luck!

3. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

http://www.littledawgamps.com/amps.htm

Here is the link. Jim is a super guy to talk with. Excellent price for teh quality. I got on the list for a 25 watter, wait time between 12 and 16 weeks.

4. Denny

Denny Member

thanks I'm looking at a 2x10 D'Lux.

d.

5. brianf

brianf Member

From the look of the photos the tweed work leaves little to be desired.

I would go with Victoria, Aiken, Weber etc. who have a proven track record if you are going the tweed route.

I sure the individual involved is a very dedicated fellow, but it seems that every Tom Dick and Harry is building amps in their basement these days.

Maybe you should even look at building a Mission or Webber yourself. I did and have a great sounding amp that was a blast putting together.

brianf

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

So doesn't that make you every Tom, Dick, or Harry too? The Victorias are overpriced, period. Used they're not so bad.

I not sure what the beef is with the tweed work. Everything looks perfect to me. The pictures maybe aren't the best pictures ever.

I'm on the list for a 14 watt DLux with Weber 12A125A speaker and tube pulls. I'll let everyone know once I get it how it compares to the old widepanel '53 5B3 Deluxe I used to own. If it's anywhere close, then I'll be exstatic. Especially for the price.:dude

7. slotools

slotools Supporting Member

I think it is safe to say you will be getting a great product from Jim, I personally watched him do the tweedwork in his shop when I went to purchase an amp from him- he is meticulous and his product is of high quality-I am getting a green tolex d-lux -he was building one for a customer and had to have one- knocked me out - the sound is pretty darn good too- if you have any reservations or questions, I would call Jim and talk to him personally instead of reading conjecture and speculations.

8. brianf

brianf Member

C'mon guys. Look at the cabinets. They are butt ugly. Very square edges, and large overlaps where the tweed overlaps. He should put his amps into some of the aftermarket cabs instead.

brianf

9. brianf

brianf Member

Exactly my point!!!!!

brianf

10. brianf

brianf Member

What??? New Victorias are very rasonably priced.

brianf

11. OOG

OOG Member

Jim's amps look much better in person
    and sound very good

12. brianf

brianf Member

I would think so. Someone should suggest that he get a pro to take some good photos for him.

brianf

13. FredW

FredW Member

Try Steve Gupta at SDG. He built me the sooped up 5E3 deluxe with a celestion blue and NOS RCA tubes and NOS Jensen paper in oil caps for an incredible price ( I supplied the Blue). His cabs and and workmanship are on par with anyone. www.sdgvintageamps.com It definitely exceeded my expectations.

14. OOG

OOG Member

i kinda like the fact that Jim makes his own cabs
    he isn't putting together kits made by others
    he's building amps

15. slotools

slotools Supporting Member

495 for a quality amp........ yes you can pay at least twice from another builder, but I do not believe you can find better price per dollar period. Lately, I bought a fuchs 30 and promptly returned it, had the Maven Peal RG88, Germino 45 classic- last week bought the new tophat club royal -oh yea it's a keeper!!!! and Jim's d-lux is too- dead quiet, smooth sounding - and gets that creamy dreamy overdrive with 6v6s- I am still thinking about it . Some folks just need to pay more I quess. The cabs look great in person- yes I would have reservations based on his website too, but upon completion, the D-Lux will look striking next to the Top Hat.

16. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I have two of Jim's chassis, a 5F1 and a 5E3. I love them both!! Jim is a great guy and his amps sound fantastic. I have the 5E3 in one of RLinFL's cabs and it's light and a pleasure to take to gigs.

17. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

He also builds his own chassis.

18. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

I've got a 2X10 Champster (Champ clone) with Mojotone speakers. Got it off of ebay. I think it looks great and it sounds great, too.