Li'l Dawg 5E3 D-Lux (14-watt) w/ Jensen P12R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 23, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I play rhythm guitar (Strat and Tele) in our classic rock & blues closet band, using a Fender SCXD and a BJr. I really love both amps, but after hearing sound clips from several 5E3 clones on UTube, I have decided that I have to add a Tweed Deluxe to my arsenal. I love the warm, smoky, creamy blues tones and a smooth overdrive.

I am now contemplating the purchase of a lightly used Li'l Dawg 5E3 D-Lux (14-Watt) w/ Jensen P12R speaker, but I have a few questions for the pros:

1) Will the 14-watt D-Lux hold its own or will it get lost in the mix?

2) Is the Jensen P12R a "must replace" speaker or a suitable option?

3) What is a fair price for one of these in excellent condition?

4) Is there anything else I should know before I take the plunge?

Thanks so much for any help.

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

I put my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe up for sale in the emporium momentarily, then sanity kicked in and I took it back down :crazy I wanted to reduce my gear inventory, but selling the 5E3 was definitely not the way to go about it!
    [​IMG]

Regarding your questions:

1) I don't know how loud your band is, but I would think the D-Lux would be fine for practice, and possibly need to be mic'd at a gig in a larger venue. Should be fine for smaller clubs/parties, unless the rest of your band is insanely loud, IMO. I have to throttle mine back with a HotPlate at home. It is very LOUD otherwise.

2) The stock Jensen may work out great for you! I took the stock Jensen out of my Richter because it was just too bright for my personal taste. The Jensen might be perfect for cutting through the mix for you. I currently have a Celestion G12H30 in mine and I like it a lot for blues and classic rock.

3) I'm not sure for the Lil Dawg, but you can buy a brand new Richter from Sara via her eBay store for $865 w/free shipping. Contact Lil Dawg for the new price and figure one or two hundred off for used.

4) I think you should know you will very likely love the 5E3! It's kind of a one-trick pony, but oh my what a trick!

Good luck and let us know what you do! :AOK

p.s. The Tweed Deluxe's love Strats and Teles!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

5E3:

Maybe I'll take chance on it. Thanks for the help.

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Cool! Stay tuned for more responses. There are plenty of Tweed owners here at TGP and I think you will get many more opinions. :)

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

You should be fine in bars and small clubs with a blues/rock band. For larger venues, just mic it up!

I really like the P12R and the P12Q. The P12Q is slightly more compressed when the amp's cranked. Roll back the tone knob on the amp a bit if it's too bright.

I paid $400 for mine.

Cleans are sweet, but not that loud. When you crank it up, it gets very crunchy, and pretty loud. I love my D-Lux. If you haven't played through a 5E3 before, it's a pretty affordable way to give it a try!

6. go7

go7 Member

Many 5E3 lovers here and for good reason. Tone to the bone and lightweight. I have more expensive and channel switchers but my 5E3 gets 80% of my play. Great club amp, may need to miked sometimes. You will never sound bad through a 5E3. Good luck!

7. Trout

Trout Member

I ordered a new Jensen Tornado Neo for My Richter. Rumor has it it is a much smoother version of the original Neo that came stock in my amp. I was told more celestion like tone.

I love the original Neo, it is indeed great for cuttin the mix live, but I feel at times it is a bit ice picky around the house.

Life without a 5E3?? might as well not play geetar;)

8. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

The L'il Dawg is a very cool amp for sure. I would say trying a speaker other than the Jensen reissue is worthwhile, though not absolutely necessary.

9. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I have the D'lux with a G12H30. I love it. Jim has a long waiting list. $500 bucks is more than fair I almost jumped on one earlier in the week, for a spare(I was thinking of sending one back to Jim to cranl it to the 20+ version. Good Luck

10. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

I would wager that if a super champxd and a blues jr are adequate for your volume needs a 5e3 would do just fine...but how much clean headroom do you require?

I saw a band friday eve in a small club where the guitarist used a stock blues jr and the amp was deafening! Its funny how these things work in gigging environments (no there is no point to this story; just that even a low wattage amp can punish listeners as well as yer 100W beasts)

I have a P12Q in my Vicky 20112. Initially it sounded muddy and stiff but now that it has broken in a bit it sounds 'real good'.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

my RICHTER makes me smile :dude

12. schmerf

schmerf Member

Li'l Dawgs are great amps my 25 watt 2x10" D-Lux is plenty loud for most situations and sounds great. It wouldn't be in the classifieds section if I wasn't just afflicted with wanting to try another type of 5E3.