1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Li'l Dawg 5E3 D-Lux (14-watt) w/ Jensen P12R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 23, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I play rhythm guitar (Strat and Tele) in our classic rock & blues closet band, using a Fender SCXD and a BJr. I really love both amps, but after hearing sound clips from several 5E3 clones on UTube, I have decided that I have to add a Tweed Deluxe to my arsenal. I love the warm, smoky, creamy blues tones and a smooth overdrive.

I am now contemplating the purchase of a lightly used Li'l Dawg 5E3 D-Lux (14-Watt) w/ Jensen P12R speaker, but I have a few questions for the pros:

1) Will the 14-watt D-Lux hold its own or will it get lost in the mix?

2) Is the Jensen P12R a "must replace" speaker or a suitable option?

3) What is a fair price for one of these in excellent condition?

4) Is there anything else I should know before I take the plunge?

Thanks so much for any help.

2. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

I put my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe up for sale in the emporium momentarily, then sanity kicked in and I took it back down :crazy I wanted to reduce my gear inventory, but selling the 5E3 was definitely not the way to go about it!
    [​IMG]

Regarding your questions:

1) I don't know how loud your band is, but I would think the D-Lux would be fine for practice, and possibly need to be mic'd at a gig in a larger venue. Should be fine for smaller clubs/parties, unless the rest of your band is insanely loud, IMO. I have to throttle mine back with a HotPlate at home. It is very LOUD otherwise.

2) The stock Jensen may work out great for you! I took the stock Jensen out of my Richter because it was just too bright for my personal taste. The Jensen might be perfect for cutting through the mix for you. I currently have a Celestion G12H30 in mine and I like it a lot for blues and classic rock.

3) I'm not sure for the Lil Dawg, but you can buy a brand new Richter from Sara via her eBay store for $865 w/free shipping. Contact Lil Dawg for the new price and figure one or two hundred off for used.

4) I think you should know you will very likely love the 5E3! It's kind of a one-trick pony, but oh my what a trick!

Good luck and let us know what you do! :AOK

p.s. The Tweed Deluxe's love Strats and Teles!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

5E3:

Maybe I'll take chance on it. Thanks for the help.

4. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

Cool! Stay tuned for more responses. There are plenty of Tweed owners here at TGP and I think you will get many more opinions. :)

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

You should be fine in bars and small clubs with a blues/rock band. For larger venues, just mic it up!

I really like the P12R and the P12Q. The P12Q is slightly more compressed when the amp's cranked. Roll back the tone knob on the amp a bit if it's too bright.

I paid $400 for mine.

Cleans are sweet, but not that loud. When you crank it up, it gets very crunchy, and pretty loud. I love my D-Lux. If you haven't played through a 5E3 before, it's a pretty affordable way to give it a try!

6. go7

go7 Member

Many 5E3 lovers here and for good reason. Tone to the bone and lightweight. I have more expensive and channel switchers but my 5E3 gets 80% of my play. Great club amp, may need to miked sometimes. You will never sound bad through a 5E3. Good luck!

7. Trout

Trout Member

I ordered a new Jensen Tornado Neo for My Richter. Rumor has it it is a much smoother version of the original Neo that came stock in my amp. I was told more celestion like tone.

I love the original Neo, it is indeed great for cuttin the mix live, but I feel at times it is a bit ice picky around the house.

Life without a 5E3?? might as well not play geetar;)

8. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

The L'il Dawg is a very cool amp for sure. I would say trying a speaker other than the Jensen reissue is worthwhile, though not absolutely necessary.

9. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I have the D'lux with a G12H30. I love it. Jim has a long waiting list. $500 bucks is more than fair I almost jumped on one earlier in the week, for a spare(I was thinking of sending one back to Jim to cranl it to the 20+ version. Good Luck

10. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

I would wager that if a super champxd and a blues jr are adequate for your volume needs a 5e3 would do just fine...but how much clean headroom do you require?

I saw a band friday eve in a small club where the guitarist used a stock blues jr and the amp was deafening! Its funny how these things work in gigging environments (no there is no point to this story; just that even a low wattage amp can punish listeners as well as yer 100W beasts)

I have a P12Q in my Vicky 20112. Initially it sounded muddy and stiff but now that it has broken in a bit it sounds 'real good'.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

my RICHTER makes me smile :dude

12. schmerf

schmerf Member

Li'l Dawgs are great amps my 25 watt 2x10" D-Lux is plenty loud for most situations and sounds great. It wouldn't be in the classifieds section if I wasn't just afflicted with wanting to try another type of 5E3.