Limited Edition Les Paul Special?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by superthumbs, Mar 2, 2006.

1. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

I was at a local shop that has a pretty good reputation. They had a mid 90's LP Special, the price looked a little high and I asked why. They told me it was a limited edition and only 200 were made. I checked it out closer and it didn't look any different than any other I had seen. I can't find any info on a special edition Les Paul Special. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. Rich

Rich Member

I had two of those mid-90s LP Specials-- TV Yellow and Cherry. P-100 pups. Like you, Im not aware of them doing any Limited Edition versions of it.

3. BisonFute

BisonFute Member

Is this Les Paul a GEM, with P90 pickups ?
    If this model is a Limited Edition, you should have a stamp on the back of the headstock like this, SG Standard Ltd Edition Metallic Teal

[​IMG]

4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

There were some limited edition LP Specials from around that time, maybe it was even early '90s. I think they were all double cuts in vintage cherry and with P-90s.

I don't know what was different about them from the mid-90s regular production double cut specials, though.

5. Brudr

Brudr Member

There was a limited run of Specials in the 90's. I beleive it was about 250. If it is one of those, it will have a truss rod cover that signifies the number (ie., # 112 of 250 etc...) I'm not sure what the differences were between the limited run and the regular Special. I do know that they were not a custom shop guitar.

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

They did a bunch of things like that- I remember Deluxes with P-90s with the stamp on the truss rod cover- nickel hardware... But I also remember a double cut TV LP Special that had a wraparound bridge, but I don't think it was a Custom Shop guitar- or it was prior to the Custom Shop. I was interested in it, but at that time you could have scored an old one for the money they were asking for it.

7. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

Ok, I assumed it would have some sort of marking indicating itself as a limited run. This one has nothing different than the others, so I am assuming it is bad information I am getting from the shop.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Does it have a wraparound instead of a TOM?

9. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

No wrap around, has the TOM.

10. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I had two of those, #3 and #27 IIRC. Biggest differences I noticed were, besides the truss rod cover, plastic button Kluson-style tuners and nickel hardware with an ABR-1. I think the stock guitars came with Nashville bridges, and they had mini Grovers. The body edges were also more pronounced like a slab-body Jr or Special. They also had reissue style cases. Not Custom Shop guitars, but pretty dang cool.

11. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

So let's say this guitar has the ABR-1, plastic button Kluson-style tuners and the slab body, but doesn't have number on the truss cover. It is a '94 in TV Yellow. Could it possibly be one of the 250 and have had the cover broken and replaced? Also what does the reissue case look like?

I really appreciate the info.

12. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

Both of mine were cherry double cut's. For some reason there were a few of those floating around town. It seems like they were from around 94. Back then it seems that Gibson would just about put gold strap buttons on a guitar and call it a limited edition. Reissue cases back then were brown with pink lining, but a different kind of brown than the ones that have "GIBSON USA" in 12 inch letters on them. Small gibson logo in the corner, no combination lock, no pink flap on th inside. It was really just a crappy imitation of an old Lifton case. I'd say your best bet would be to obtain the serial number somehow and call Gibson customer service. How much do they want for it? Is it a single cut or a double cut?