Linda McCartney

Vishnu

so folks say she couldnae sing very well, and perhaps some of her live performances were not all that great, but her singing / harmonies on CDs / in the studio with Wings were just superb I think...a unique sound

I guess Paul had a lot to do with the final product but either way I like it very much thanks

great stuff

townsend

Almost every Beatles' wife gets blamed for something, especially the Beatles breaking up. What a thankless role. She was the love of Paul McCartney's life, and they were fortunate to find one another. She died young -- age 56 -- of breast cancer, and it left a void in Paul's life. I happen to agree with both her vegetarianism/animal activist stance. Judging her solely on her contribution to music is uncharitable, IMO. RIP.

Last edited:

StratoCraig

bob-i

You can't argue with the success that band had. She may not have been a big contributor but the band as a whole kicked butt.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
"Too Many People" is one of the greatest things Paul ever did. Ever. And it's got some crazy-ass guitar soloing on it. By Paul, I think. And typically fine harmonies by Linda, bless her heart.
I had the "Too Many People" 45 when I was a kid. I think my aunt gave it to me. Every time that last section with fuzzed out soloing would come up I'd crank it up as loud as the volume on my record player would go. I had this little single speaker record player, so it would sound even more ragged and distorted through that like little 3" or so speaker. My dad would usually yell at me lol.

The flip side "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" was great too.

chrisr777

Linda herself said that she knew she was not a great musician. Certainly not on par with the other players she was surrounded with. She was there as Paul's companion. He loved her and they could not stand to be apart. He loved and liked her on stage with him. She was not great, but she was not an embarrassment either. I saw her play a couple of times. She belonged there.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Linda herself said that she knew she was not a great musician. Certainly not on par with the other players she was surrounded with. She was there as Paul's companion. He loved her and they could not stand to be apart. He loved and liked her on stage with him. She was not great, but she was not an embarrassment either. I saw her play a couple of times. She belonged there.
Paul himself said, "Well, it's my band. I can have anyone I want in my band." Makes sense to me.

Spooky Action

Being on stage was the concession she made to get him to stop binging on alcohol and staying in bed for weeks at a time during the Beatles breakup. He asked her to do it with him and she agreed. Her backgrounds in the studio were a BIG component of the Wings sound.
She was scared to death. She enabled him. We owe her some slack and thanks.

Trending Topics