1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lindsey Buckingham suing over ouster from Fleetwood Mac

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PRW, Oct 11, 2018.

1. PRW

PRW Member

ak301, firebird1999us, wntbtw and 5 others like this.
  2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I suppose there are two sides to every story. But not being informed by any of the band members is pretty lame. Especially considering 40+ years they have been together. This is obviously a cash grab since they are all in their 70s. It seems silly to not include Lindsey.

3. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

Yup, he wants some of that Fleetwood Mac tour revenue...as talented as he is, his name alone will be playing much smaller venues.

J.Eric B, pats, derekd and 7 others like this.
  4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Thats what I thought. But doesn't he get some revenue from his licensing whenever they play his songs? I'm sure he is not hurting for money.

fretless, Thumpalumpacus and slider like this.
  5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Kinda, but not from them, from his PRO. They can play whoever's songs they want. Like the rest of us.

A-Bone, 2HBStrat and Steve Hotra like this.
  6. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

Went to the last two tours, but I have no interest in seeing them without Buckingham. You'd think that at their age and career point, they'd put in the effort to make sure everyone is getting along reasonably and maintaining a positive work environment. Have any big bands ever gotten back together once the lawsuits start?

massacre, Samarasa, Route234 and 4 others like this.
  7. 27sauce

Why start now? I think it's easy to comment from the outside, but these are real people with real relationships, and a long history of drama.

8. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

What is the age where it becomes obviously a cash grab vs liking to play music?

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They were ready to tour...he wanted to tour his solo record...timing just didn't mesh. I'm sure he still has any legal measures that he had before they added those two new guys for the tour. AFAIK he wasn't kicked out of the band...he just refused to tour with them when they were ready.

ChampReverb likes this.
  10. 27sauce

If he wasn’t kicked out, somebody needs to tell him.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If you read the linked article, it says he was "fired from their tour." I read that to mean not fired from "the band" just from the current tour.

12. 27sauce

I read the Rolling Stone article from yesterday. Pretty cut and dry,

“I called Irving and said, ‘This feels funny. Is Stevie leaving the band, or am I getting kicked out?’ ” Azoff told the guitarist he was “getting ousted” and that Nicks gave the rest of the band “an ultimatum: Either you go or she’s gonna go.”
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/lindsey-buckingham-fleetwood-mac-firing-733460/

Tonekat, wntbtw and A-Bone like this.
  13. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

"Lindsey Buckingham net worth: Lindsey Buckingham is an American guitarist, singer, composer and producer who has a net worth of $80 million. Lindsey Buckingham is probably most famous for being the guitarist and male lead-singer for the band Fleetwood Mac."

I don't feel bad for him. He'll survive. :dude

14. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Um, 70?

15. bob-i

bob-i Member

What’s wrong with a “cash grab”...that’s the reason I go to work everyday.

16. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Round about 22. That's when touring becomes real work. Because all your friends have graduated from University and are starting careers and you're still playing for chump change for chumps in chump bars. Oops - sorry I thought you asked when *I* stopped playing for the fun rather than the money. :D:D:D

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

i didn't read the Rolling Stone article "from yesterday" since it wasn't linked to this thread. If Stevie gave an ultimatum, that makes things different, depending, I would think, on what their in-band contract between them says. He may have a case.

18. PRW

PRW Member

I doubt Irving Azoff let this tour proceed without having all the legalities nailed down.

IMO this is a metaphoric upraised middle finger by Lindsey to the others, and a bid to keep his name in the forefront while he's on his solo tour.

He came right out and said in the Rolling Stone story that he wasn't excited about touring with FM again, but that it was a cross he had to bear to get attention for his solo work.

That's going to have to sink or swim on its own merit now.

big mike likes this.
  19. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I think you're right: Nicks just turned 70 and Buckingham is only 69. She's grabbing the cash, and he's kicked to the curb.

Rimbaud likes this.
  20. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

He is suing for breach of oral contract.