Lindy Fralin = God

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by modestmelody, Aug 17, 2006.

1. modestmelody

modestmelody Member

I just put a set of Vintage Hots with an SP43 in my strat, and the difference is night and day. It's unbelievable how much better they really are. Thank you Fralin, for making my life good.

2. photoguy

photoguy Member

I have a T style guitar made by Don Warren that has Fralins in it. Don went back and forth with Lindy over the specs until he got what he was looking for. I couldn't be happier...so let me add a public "Thanks" also!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Hey brother! Glad you like them! Vintage hots are easily one of the best, most toneful combos ever. Easy.
    JoeR :)

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes they are nice aren't they? I think Tomo has a set of Vintage Slightly Hots on his modded SRV - I'm not sure that I don't like those even better.

Best, Pete.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Does Nilarf Ydnil = Dog?

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

Much love here for Lindy & his wares, definitely....

7. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I have one of his twangmasters and wow, i agree.

8. lbw

lbw Member

(perfect cadence)

aaaahhhhmen!

9. m1911

m1911 Member

Wait a minute....I thought CLAPTON was God...:eek:

I'm with ya on this one....I changed out three Fender Custom Shop Strats with exactly that combination.....they didn't sound at all bad to begin with, but I just LOVE that Steel-Pole 43 in the Bridge.
    Like Lindy says....It's really like a P-90....SO usable and yet still sound extremely quacky and Strat-like in the 2nd position.
    I had stuffed some Blues Specials in some prior Strats, but they were a tad darker sounding. The Vintage Hots are as "Stratty" as you can get IMHO.

To take this thread a step further, I swapped out Pick-ups on Gibson Historics R6, R7, and R9's. They sound beautiful also.
    So much is made over PAF's.....Lindy's winding of 8k Neck and 9k Bridge is another winning combination....Never heard better Les Paul tone as well.

I never like using the term "Best" in describing any gear, but Lindy's stuff NEVER gives me the itch to keep swapping and experimenting.....
    How often can you say you are COMPLETELY satisfied with anything?
    Mark

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Lindy's P-92's are wonderful too. He really hit it out of the park with these.

I've put his humbuckers in Les Pauls and McInturff's. Never a disappointment, and to my ears, always an improvement.

My Grosh set neck will have a P-92 in the neck, and a 9k humbucker in the bridge :)

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Fralin Blues Specials in the tele in my avatar. And that thing just kills!

12. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Lindy Fralin pick ups are my faves! I have them in my Strat, Grosh, Tele and a P90 should be landing here today. Great tone!!!!

13. m1911

m1911 Member

The SP-43's are very midrangy and have a nice honk to them. I've always thought that if you set your amp to have enough presence on the Neck Pick-Up alone, that when you flip to the Bridge alone, it's a bit too sharp sounding.....even with a Base-plate installed.
    The SP-43's cure that.
    Mark

14. opdev

opdev Member

I have the same set up in an old MIJ I have.

Sounds as good as anything you will hear.

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

In '91 I bought a CS Strat from Matt Umanov in NYC (Swamp Ash body, graphite nut, ebony fretboard, American Standard pickups). They called it the "Mattocaster" and there were only about 37 make from my count. There was also a Blonde, maple neck version made in the same numbers over a two year period. It came with a lifetime warranty from Matt.

Sometime in the the mid-nineties one of the pickups ceased functioning and the guys at Umanovs said that it had to be rewound. I was heartbroken until they told me that Lindy Fralin was personally doing their rewinding.

I said, "Ask him to wind it just a little hot", and the results were spectacular. Gone was the sometimes thin, sometimes harsh Strat bridge pickup sound, and in its place was one that was very well balanced, and delivered a rippping lead tone.

Fralin has a lot of devotees and with good reason. I've never been happier with a repair job.

stratzrus

16. straticus

straticus Member

Yes! I have a Grosh Stat with the same p/u combo and I love it!

Plus, I can't say enough good things about the SP43.:)

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

GAS necessitated the acquisition of an AV62. I had Acme Guitar Works build a prewired guard with Fralins. After talking with Lindy on the phone for about 1/2 hour, at his suggestion I ordered a Fralin Blues in the neck, Vintage Hot in the middle, and SP42 (instead of SP43) in the bridge. In listening to it while playing alone, it delivers the in-between positions quack & cluck really well, meaty neck position tone, and thanks to the Vintage Hot in the middle - vintage jangle as well. I'll get a chance to play with a band with the thing this weekend. Fralins have a bit more sizzle on the top end than I'm accustomed to, but I had Acme wire it using a vintage wirirng scheme, so I'm able to dial it out if necessary. Looking forward to gigging it.

Peace,

jb

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

My SRV, Momose, Combat... all has Frailns. Love it.

I just got a John Mayer Strat! I loved the pickups too.

Tomo

19. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I ordered a acme wired harness with the blender wiring with Lindy Fralins Blues Specials, they should come in some time today, I ordered them off their ebay store last Tuesday, and they havent came in yet.

20. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Can you tell me more about this? Which position you have it in, what kind of guitar... possibly any sound clips? Not trying to be overbearing or anything, but you're the first person I've heard of who has one of these and I've been looking at them for a while.