Lindy Fralin = God

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by modestmelody, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

b-b-bump!

I'm interested in grabbing some vintage hots, but I'm not sure about the bridge. Right now I've got the stock Fender CS 65 pups w/a fralin bassplate on the bridge. I like the funky thin-ness that a bridge strat pup produces, but I'd like it to be a little louder... Whatchya say? VH or steel pole 42?

2. MikeP

MikeP Member

I always liked the Callaham versions of Fralins.
    I have a extra set for sale now in the emporium if your interested.
    Mike

3. the-tone

the-tone Member

Fralin blues specials on these MySpace clips, I always liked them, though right now I'm diggin' the Don mare pickups.
    http://www.buckcannon.com/

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Silver Supporting Member

Last week, I upgraded my main Les Paul, a 79 Custom, with a new set of the Fralin High Output humbuckers.

OMG!!!! The volume, the power, the strength, the clarity! These are the most robust yet clear pickups I've ever heard. Not super high distortion, but possessing a strength that has to be heard to be believed.

This is now my fourth guitar with Fralins, joining my SG, Les Paul Classic and Les Paul Special (P90s) in the Fralin camp. I just got a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany - dare I go for five?

5. lbw

lbw Member

It depends what you want. If you want a p90 sound (i.e really fat midrange) then SP42 is for you. If you want something that sounds like a Stratocaster then VH are for you.

Personally, I have them both as they're very different beasts. The SP42s are my absoloute favourite single coil pickup, period.

6. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

First off. God is not dead.

He has a boat called the Astoria :D

To add to this thread, there are two pickup makers that I trust to make the pickups in my Stratocasters. Kinman and Fralin.

There is merit in both products. Both products are absolutely wonderful. Nobody would go wrong in getting either of them.

The 62 american vintage strat with the Real 54's would make an awe inspiring surf rock guitar. Canned Ventures.

My next guitar is going to be an American Vintage ‘57 Stratocaster with the Kinmans but once I get that, the 62 is on my list.

-Z

7. chachisk8r

chachisk8r Member

I just bought a SP42 and its incredible. these pickups really are awesome. im soo happy with it.

8. rosewoodsteel

rosewoodsteel Member

I have Fralin singles and a a Bardon HB on my Zion and they sound great.
    Also have Fralins in my 74 Strat. Much better than the original PU's :AOK

[​IMG]

9. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

How do you think the Fralin HO's would do in a 335-style guitar? Would they do warm, fat cleans? I've got 57 Classics now, and they're just a little too thin.

10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I had Fralins standard vintage wind pickups in my ash Tele for a long time. The guitar now has GVCG/Lollars in it, which are very different, but which I think I like slightly better in that guitar. However, I miss the Fralins. I think I might try putting them in my Steelcaster (which has a Blues Special in the bridge & a Stephens Design blade pickup in the neck.) Much as I really like the Stephens, the sound of the Fralin neck pup still haunts me. So warm and pure.

I also just nabbed a 5% overwound Fralin dogear for my LP Jr. I'm very curious to hear how it sounds, and to compare it to the Lollars in my Hamer Special.

11. JJK

JJK Member

I have Blues Specials in my H1 Strat. I love em. :)

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Silver Supporting Member

To be honest, I've never really played a 335 style guitar, so I wouldn't be able to speak from a tone reference point. Solid body, Les Paul style guitars are my faves. The cleans in the Pauls are bright, warm on the neck pickup setting though.

13. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

bump for this thread after installing some Fralin PAFs in my 89 Gibson 335. Whatta difference. Pots from RS guitarworks (superpots volume, 500k tone) and vitamin q style caps (from a fellow TGPer) values of 0.022 bridge and 0.015 neck- and it is now an amazing guitar. Topwrapped the bridge cause I had enough room to and I like the improved coupling and the ability to play 11s comfortably, and its a superb instrument now!! Thanks Lindy and Company!

15. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

Being from Richmond, Lindy is a great asset to the music seen and the area.

It is really great to see so many people praising Lindy's work. Good guy and AWESOME pickups.

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Richond is a nice place to visit- the Shako Slip (I know I cant spell it!!) area had some very nice clubs when I used to frequent those parts. The VCU area is very nice and sort of like a little bit of Austin and Chapel Hill...

17. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

This is good to know though I'm considering a SP43 for the neck of my tele.

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

I still kept 3 set of my Frarins from early 90s. Great pickups!!

Now I am using the Bare Knuckle pickups! Tasty tone by hands.

Apache, Mothers Milk are my favorites. Tim made Musicmaster/Duo Sonic pickups too. Great!!!

Tomo

19. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I swapped a stock set of pickups out of my '03 Highway 1 Strat for a set of Blues Specials and I couldn't be happier. They made a huge difference, it's like a whole new guitar now, I couldn't believe the difference.

After that I put a set of his P-90's, stock bridge 15% under neck into my ES-135 and they sound great too. They have a lot of pop and get down and dirty with a nice bite. I think I'm going to put one in my Custom Shop Junior as well.

I'd recommend his single coils and P-90's to anyone, I've yet to try his humbuckers but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

The more I think about it, Lindy can't be God because Lindy takes my calls. :p

P.S. to admims/mods: Above is not "discussion" - merely a joke. :)