Lindy Fralin PAFs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FourT6and2, Apr 29, 2016.

1. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Currently have two LP Customs. I have a few different pickups I've tried: Duncan JB, BKP Black Dogs, Holy Divers, and Nailbombs. I play '90s - current hard rock, metal, prog rock (Tool, KSE, Muse, Karnivool, Porcupine Tree, etc.). I don't go for a super "modern" high-output type of pickup. I really like the Black Dogs, for example (which are like 9k I think). But years and years ago, I remember playing a Gadow guitar of some sort in a music shop that had Lindy Fralin PAFs and I think they were great.

Who here has tried a set (not the Pure PAFs) with a bridge somewhere around 9.5k or so, and plays high-gain stuff?

Thoughts?

The BKP are great. But... they are almost too clear at times. A little raw character could be a nice change.

Another option I've always considered but never tried: Suhr Aldrich.

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have a pair of Fralin HOH. Alnico 4, around 13k bridge. I have had this one set for a while, they are in my Les Paul now. Great pickup, a bit of PAF, but bigger and bolder. They clean up and split great too.

3. rummy

rummy Member

I have the Pure PAFs in my Custom. They're awesome for everything up to 80s hair metal, but anything after that, they get mushy. Mine are stock wound.

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I got an Overwound set of Fralin 8.5k 9.5k in this Grosh RC Strat. = Vivid Harmonics, Sparkling Detail, and Serious Mojo.
    [​IMG]

5. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I used to run a Fralin 8K/8K set in a 2007 Les Paul Custom through a Mesa Roadster. That combination pretty much nailed all of your points above- not modern sounding, but not really vintage. Clear, but "smears a little" under heavy gain. Lindy has stated that he thinks the 8K/9K set are best for players that play a lot of lead and I agree. i ultimately decided I wanted something a little more vintage sounding and rhythm friendly and swapped them out for PRS 57/08s, but I've hung onto my 8K/9Ks and will likely put them in another guitar soon.

6. jetydosa

jetydosa Supporting Member

I think the Fralin PAFs are fine pups but probably would not give you what you are wanting.

I would highly recommend trying the Dimarzio Transition set a try (Steve Lukathers set). They have big output (altho not uber modern by any means) but still a bit of a pushed PAF type of character. Great pups for the styles of music you are describing.

7. handtrix

handtrix Member

Find a couple of non working P.A.F.'s or T-Tops and send them to Lindy for a rewind.

L.A.F.'s ;-)

8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

To be clear, Fralin's 8K/9K set are not PAF type pickups- they use Alnico 4 magnets and non-vintage spec wire. They were definitely designed with Duncan and Dimarzio more in mind than Gibson. I installed my set on the advice of Mike Lull (his favorite pickup set for Les Pauls).

OP- This thread might be a good read. The video below shows the difference between Fralin's Pure PAF and "Standard" 8K/9K pickup designs.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Thanks everybody, but I'm not interested in the Pure PAFs. I was asking about the regular PAFs. In any event, I've decided to go a different route anyway. But thanks for the info. :)

10. peterc1024

peterc1024 Member

And what route is that? :)

11. Wirezz

Wirezz Member

Bareknuckle riff raffs are amazing for the just below hard rock sound.

12. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Keeping the pickups I have (BKP Black Dogs and Holy Divers). I've decided instead of trying to swap pickups around, I'll get a totally different type of guitar for a different sound.

I had a set of Riff Raffs. They were way too bright and harsh for my taste. The Black Dogs are my favorite so far. They have a really thick mid range.

13. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Ever thought about the BK Abraxas set ? I have them in a PRS Bernie and they are great. An overwound PAF with plenty of grunt. Rebel Yells are wonderful as well.

14. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Didn't love the A4's.

Did really like the A2's. Pluckier, chewier.