Lindy Fralin Unbucker

eurotrashed

There are quite a few guitars that I want, a Telecaster, a P90 equipped guitar and a guitar with a more vintage output humbuckers. Then I thought of this

Would a Lindy Fralin Unbucker at the bridge of a Telecaster still give the Tele sound when tapped?

Then I was thinking either a Twangbucker or get a pickup from a G&L ASAT Classic Custom, like a P90 style pickup.

I think it would cover all bases, no?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Not in my view, at least not trad Tele tone, because how will you fit in into a standard ashtray bridge assembly? Not to mention that, when tapped, what's left ain't a trad Tele bridge PUP.

eurotrashed

They don't make an ashtray bridge that fits a humbucker? Thats lame, maybe I could just cut one to fit. I would really like the ashtray cover to hide the fact that it has a humbucker.

And I am not talking that this has to be 100% 1952 Tele specs, but if you heard it without seeing what PUs are in it, could you still hear the Tele twang? From my understand the bridge mounted pickup makes a lot of the twang

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Yes they do. It all depends on how you define "the Tele sound." I own a guitar with Unbuckers. They're absolutely wonderful PUPs but I'm sorry, per my definition of Tele sound, you won't get there from here.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Although it wasn`t a Tele , I could get quite a bit of the character of one with my old Johnny A Gibson w/ Lindy fralin humbuckers (8,9k) I think a lot has to do w/ the scale length. Check out Jeff Beck w/ Seymour Duncans Tele(neck&bridge h/b`s) pretty much this guitar all over Blow by Blow I beleive.

eurotrashed

Do they make a custom shop of that Tele that I can try out? Or do they only have his Esquire in a commercially available form?

My old Tele, may it RIP, had EMG Telecaster pickups, which weren't traditional at all but could get Tele tones. So as long as a tapped unbucker could do just as well as those

GEN DAWG

I would contact Zhangbucker (just Google him, you'll find him), and have him make you one of his hot Tele bridge pickups. He can wind them the way you like them and is very good at finding the right spot between twangy, traditional Tele and P90 beef. I have his Twangsmoker tele bridge and it is a tremendous rock pickup with more articulation than your average bucker.

If you want a bucker, he'll do those, too, and I have a set. You can get him to make them splittable, and he'll set the split value wherever you want it. I had him split off about 1/3 of the signal so that, after the split, you still have a really usable single-coil tone; not the wussy "tapped bucker" tone most of us know.

AND HE IS SUPER CHEAP -- I think I paid $110 total for THE SET of Tele pickups and about $140 for the SET of buckers.

eurotrashed

Hmm.. interesting. I wonder if he could make a bridge PU that is simular to a Seymour Duncan '59 and be like a hot Tele pickup when tapped

GEN DAWG

Tell him what you want, and he'll try it for sure. The problem I see with what you're after there is that a hot Tele pickup is usually (I think) hotter than a PAF-style bucker (like a '59). But that's all a matter of balancing the full and split sounds. I have my bridge bucker wound to 9+Kohms, and split it is in the 7+ range, which is more like a traditional tele bridge (a little hotter maybe).

But again, this guy will work with you. Check him out. Great guy, great pickups, quick turnaround, super deal.

eurotrashed

That sounds like a nice bridge pickup. I just wonder how it would sound in a Tele.

I still have to get a Tele to hack up for this project, Still have to ship parts out from my last Tele, send this Flying V out, Sell my Laney and my Marshall. Pick up an Orange and a cab and then its time for a new guitar... I think I will just get a Highway One to brutalize.

GEN DAWG

That sounds like a nice bridge pickup. I just wonder how it would sound in a Tele.

I still have to get a Tele to hack up for this project, Still have to ship parts out from my last Tele, send this Flying V out, Sell my Laney and my Marshall. Pick up an Orange and a cab and then its time for a new guitar... I think I will just get a Highway One to brutalize.
Get the Squier Classic Vibe. $299 -- very good guitar, insane deal. If you want to beat one up, you can't get a lot cheaper for a new Tele.

eurotrashed

I'm done with cheap guitars with their value reinvested into them with mods. I want one nice, USA made electric, the nitro finish is a plus. Basically go to every store and play them til I find "the one"

keninsyr

I have a Grosh with an Unbucker and another with a Duncan JB and the JB splits much better than the Unbucker. The Unbucker sounds great but I don't care for it split.

eurotrashed

Think anyone can make a stacked humbucker that can split at 7.5k and 10k? Or a humbucker that mounts on the top and bottom like a tele pickup?

Jet Age Eric

You won't need to mod the Squier CV Tele. Seriously. -E

PS I LOVE the ASAT MFDs, so I wouldn't discourage that route, but those pups RESEMBLE the sounds of a Tele, they don't recreate 'em.

I'm done with cheap guitars with their value reinvested into them with mods. I want one nice, USA made electric, the nitro finish is a plus. Basically go to every store and play them til I find "the one"

Bob V

Split humbuckers don't sound like a full single coil pickup - don't expect it to. But they can be combined with another single coil for some nice sounds. Put the unbucker in the neck position of the Tele and use a proper tele bridge pickup if you want tele twang.

eurotrashed

Split humbuckers don't sound like a full single coil pickup - don't expect it to. But they can be combined with another single coil for some nice sounds. Put the unbucker in the neck position of the Tele and use a proper tele bridge pickup if you want tele twang.
I definitely want a P90 at the neck no matter what. I know split humbuckers dont sound like single coils, but have you had experience with the unbucker because they claim it does...

Trending Topics