Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Do you think LF Vintage Hots are an excellent example of a vintage-style Strat pickup?

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

They are to me. I love 'em. I'd rather they didn't have the staggered pole pieces, but I still love the sounds I get from my Strat with these pickups.

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I love my Fralin Vintage Hot's and they make a hybrid set (non staggered) for flat radius necks. Don't be fooled by the name...they are not hot (high output) pickups.

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks, fellows.

5. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

They're really nice chimey pups. Depending on your strat, I'd get the baseplate to tame the highs just a touch.

6. JKjr

JKjr Member

I have multiple sets of Fralins,Lollars,a wonderful set of Slider's, and vintage stuff. You can do different but you can't do better IMHO. I have the bassplate on one set and it works as advertised, but Lindy will wind you a bit hotter bridge p'up at no extra charge, and hotter doesn't lose any of it's vintage voice. Even though they border on being under wound they are LOUD. I have no affiliation with Mr Fralin, but I'm an evangelist for his pickups. Don't think twice, it's alright.

7. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I don't know if I could speak highly enough of the VH's in my strat. I have them in the neck and middle with a HB in the bridge. I've had them in there for maybe a year and a half. Best gear move I've made to date. I might even say I have grown to love them more the longer I've had them in. If I'm still in the honeymoon phase I don't ever want to leave!

I generally like to champion cheap gear that sounds great. These pickups though have proven to me that on certain aspects of your gear top notch quality really does make a difference.

8. Kelly

Kelly Member

I have 2 VHs and a SP43 in my Strat. Great pickups.

9. Morgan24

Morgan24 Member

Great pickups. Lots of tone and balls but I think they miss some of the sweetness you find in vintage pickups.

10. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Interesting. I wonder what contributes to this loss of sweetness? Too hot?

11. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Other than what I've heard on old recordings, I have no experience with vintage pickups. That being said, Fralin Vintage Hots are an excellent example of tone full Strat pickups. I have a set in one of my favorite Strats and like them so much that I bought another set for a project I'm working on.

12. terrapin

terrapin Member

I have tried ALOT of Strat pickups in the past couple of years, and the VH's with baseplate are hands down the most vintage and sweet sounding to my ears. That said, the neck pickup in my set of David Allen Austin Blues is the best sounding Steat neck pickup I have played.