Lindy Fralin Vvt Model 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by speek, Feb 7, 2008.

1. speek

speek Member

I would like to know if anyone has given this Lindy Fralin VVT Model 115 amp a try. I like the idea of a 15" speaker to produce a better bottom. Does this amp stand up to it's price tag? $1800. Also, if anyone knows of someone selling one at a discount I would appreciate a referal.

2. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Great amp IMO. Very loud with loads of headroom. Surpringly good with active pups too. If you can get one for a discount and it suits your needs...go for it.

3. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

I found one used today at a local shop. It was in its own little room, & there was a Tele on a stand right next to it, so I gave it a whirl. WHOA. The amp, in a word, kills. Total clarity, TONS of headroom (I couldn't get it to break up, had it up at about 5 or 6), great sustain, big big ass sounds.

The particular one I played had an issue with the reverb circuit, as it kept producing a weird feedback-ish wail whenever the 'verb knob was turned past 3 or so. Probably an easily fixable thing.

If I didn't have the 1x15 Carr Rambler that I do, I'd be ALL OVER that Fralin. Uh.

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Check the emporium!!

5. Bananafist

Bananafist Member

I got mine in Jan this year. Nice amp, good sound, and clean, sounds wonderful with single coils, especially LF strat and tele pups.
    Haven't played it at gig levels as took over bass duties just before amp arrived(!).:jo Now supplied with 15" eminence speaker as I am told there were problems with some of the webers originally supplied. If you want super clean jbl type clarity, it might be best to specify a weber. The eminence is not quite so clear and defined at lower volume as a 15" RCF speaker I have which is very close to JBL D130 in sound and construction.
    I use the amp at home for Atkins picking currently, and plan to try alternative preamp tubes to get even cleaner sound.(Yes, I
    know this the opposite of almost everyone else.................
    The guys at VVT are very easy to deal with and most willing to help.Delivered to UK in 3 days just after Christmas.
    Bananafist

6. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Actually, I was told the Emi has MORE headroom, clarity and high-end than the Weber.

I would never change......the amp already has gobs of clean headroom and the Weber Alnico sounds awesome.

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

How does it take OD pedals?

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Very well......more like a tweed Fender than a BF, in that regard.

I've played an E, Small Fry, Zen, 200LBS, Hellbilly, Bad Monkey and GSR through it.........all with great results.

Hmmmm......I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't sell this thing.

9. r8burst

r8burst Member

These amps absolutely kill me. From the moment I heard the first few notes out of one, I thought it was the ultimate Fender-clean amp. And the honeymoon isn't over after over a year. I have a head version of the Fralin (I think it may be the first one they made as a head), and it's my number one amp on the road with Brooks and Dunn. I play it through a Hermida 1x12 ported cab with an Eminence Red Fang, and it's just big and fat and, well GREAT! I have rented the combo to use on several TV shows in NYC, and the combos always sound great and just fill a TV studio more than you'd think by looking at it. They have cleans that are thick and rich and sustainy, and with a Tele, I just don't think there's a better clean amp out there. Takes my pedals great (Zendrive, Timmy,Keeley RI 808). It just makes you want to play. I just can't gush enough about this amp. Makes me forget about my old blackfaces, and that's saying something. And no, they didn't give me the amp...I bought it. And would buy another. They're that good.

Just my opinion

Tony

10. gawfshot

gawfshot Supporting Member

Which RCF speaker are you referring to? (The only ones I found are high wattage with big price tags.)