Lindy Fralin..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheAmpFactory, Jan 31, 2012.

1. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

On my guitar (when I brought this) is a set of Lindy fralins..however, im wondering what ones they are. as I dont like not knowing. - its a 56 NOS custom shop strat, so guessing perhaps his better selling blues specials.

Took of the pickguard and no markings whatsoever on bottom of pups. so kind of hard to tell. - wanted to fire of a email to fralin themselves but there is no contact address just phone.

But becasue im in London. the cost will be expensive.

So my plea, has anyone delt with Lindy Fralin company on a email level? if so would you mind sharing there email address with me in a PM so I can Find out more on my quest.

Many Thanks

2. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

What type of pole pieces are on the pickups? If they are adjustable w/bar magnets it's one of his steel poled sets. Pretty hard to tell just by looking at them.

If you can't contact him you may have to measure the ohm reading and compare your findings to a set he has listed on his web site.

3. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

How do you know they are fralin pickups?

4. JKjr

JKjr Member

I have both vintage hots and blues specials and they look pretty similar to me. They come with little ID tags on the leads. I wonder if Lindy can tell them apart from a photo? I'd check the resistance on all 3 and take a SWAG at it.

Aside from the fact that you just GOTTA know (this is TGP after all) what's the impetus here? Do you like/dislike them, and if so why? Do you want to replace them, or are they so "you" that you want more?

Both the BS and VH sound amazing, with just a bit more mid push in the BS, while the VH are a bit more hollow and trebly. The bad news is that without A/B-ing them it's hard to tell them apart. The good news is that without A/B-ing them it's hard to tell them apart! IOW, both are exceptional pickups that sound like a good strat should without reinventing the wheel...you can't go wrong either way.

To illustrate the similarities, I have a strat with a VH at the neck, a BS neck pickup in the middle,and a very old Schecter overwound neck pickup at the bridge, and it sounds like a well calibrated set.

5. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Well I certainly dont want to replace them, I was told at the strore that the previous owner had installed them, so I can only go by what they are telling me..and the curious side of me wants to know what version of fralins they actually are..

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

That was the first thought I had upon reading the above.

7. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

look for the little white sticker that's folded over the leads. It should tell you what they are.

Here's a pic of one:

[​IMG]

8. Themadcap

Themadcap Member

Not that it would be a likely option for you, but I know Lindy will verify them for you should you pull them out and send them to him. Or better yet, just drop by with your guitar you are less than three hours away. If you like, I can meet you and take you up there, I know them dudes!

9. Kelly

Kelly Member

I dont think older Fralins are marked in any way. You can measure the resistance and check the stats on his site.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

? less than 3 hrs. away ?? the OP is in London ... ENGLAND.... :cool:

11. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Love my VHts on the Schecter.......... great strat tones........... have an older pair on the Anderson as well........