Lindy Franlin Strat Pickup Backplates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pixel alchemist, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Has anyone had any real life experience with these?

Please shareyour thoughts.

Pixel Alchemist

2. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Definitely punches up the bridge pickup. One of the best cheap mods you can do, in my opinion.

3. ES350

ES350 Member

Works well if you want a little more 'output' and you want to cure the typical anemic Strat bridge pu problem...I make my own from metal stock (pretty easy to do).

4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

They work. Seems to me that if you're using a 'calibrated' set of pickups with a balanced or slightly hotter bridge pickup, then the base plate makes the biggest noticable difference - because you already have the little boosted output and the base plate adds a nice low/mid bump plus a little output - to my ears the diff is more noticable in tone than in output.

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

I can't imagine owning a Strat without one. The baseplate makes the bridge pickup more balanced with the other two without changing the character of the pickup - it's still a Strat single coil on a Strat, but with some of the Tele's depth. I even put one on a set of Lollars - great pickups on their own, but much more usable to me with the baseplate.

It's not a drastic change, though - it won't turn your Strat pickup into a P-90, Broadcaster pickup, or humbucker. That's what I like about it.

Hey, Craig! How's things?

M

6. retro

retro Member

I have Fralin VH's with a bridge bass plate...
    To my ears, I hear more bass and therefore a fatter tone compared to my other Strat.

7. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

Me, too. Mine are in my Anderson Hollow Classic...GREAT bridge tones--fatter in a very good way.