• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line 6 and Yamaha at NAMM 2015

dshow

Regarding the Variax I really wish they would find an alternative to the piezo pickups. To me the models just don't feel right no matter what I try. I mean not only the palm muting but the whole feeling is completly different than with normal pickups. The models sound OK for recording. I only use the acoustic model to practice, other than that just play it with regular pickups, 'cause they're great.

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
I would love a new pair of modeling headphones. Yamaha and Line 6 could destroy Vox's offerings.

GMGM

I'd like an M-series update, with new/improved algos across the board; hopefully, with a modulated reverb thrown in. I love the single-button/single-effect = on/off format. Perfect for me.

I'm with you on this.

In my world, Line 6 is in a race to update the M-series before Fractal's FX8 hits the street.

I see this as Line 6's last chance to take my money, because I fear that once I step off the Fractal ledge there will be no turning back (regardless of the price gap between them).

I've used Line 6 products since the original POD. It's not that I'm not loyal, or that I don't love the brand. Because I do. I just don't need the amps.

As for Variax, I'd love to see then sell the parts through Warmoth, so I could build a variax-strat. Not that I wouldn't consider owning an actual Variax - but I'd definitely want to see/play it in person first (no one stocks them around my neck of the woods).

toasterdude

Thing is, even with the current 500X hardware we still have the ability to max out the DSP when using multiple spring reverbs, dual amps, etc. So how about taking care of us guys on the other end of the spectrum who use it in 4CM with an amp (and would likely never max out the DSP) and give us the option to add more effects blocks to access that extra unused DSP?

Or at least give us the option to transform the amp blocks into effects blocks. Those two extra effects blocks would make a big difference.

I agree. I have a 500x that I do use amp modelling on but two HD pros that I never usa amp modeling. Actually one of them is a HDProX. One would hope not using amps would free up 4 FX blocks at least. I would settle for two though. Then I could go back to having volume pedals on the PODs.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
I would love a new pair of modeling headphones. Yamaha and Line 6 could destroy Vox's offerings.

Now, that's an interesting "out of the box" product... I've just bought a THR10C to use for headphone practice, and I tend to look at all the Vox headphone toys as slightly junky (not because I've used them, but because that is just my initial "this can't be any good" impression).

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
Since the JTV series didn't include an acoustic variax (like one of the previous generations), I'm starting to think we might get more acoustic offerings?? Nylon, mandolin, mandocello, bazouki, shamisen, etc...

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
The Pocket POD series seems to overlap with that usage. It can clip onto a guitar strap and runs on batteries.

I had the pocket pod and hated it.

My goal is to get rid of as many cables as possible. Guitar to headphones and done!

Tybalt

The Pocket POD series seems to overlap with that usage. It can clip onto a guitar strap and runs on batteries.

wow people still use the pocket pod?
I remember buying that thing like seven years ago and immediately returning it.

Ringleader42

Watching Facebook for a nugget of more info but nothing yet today.

Reminds me of the AMPLIFi release. Tons of hype when it turned out to not be exactly what the "discerning guitarist" was expecting. Now that the new products apparently are for the discerning guitarist, we get pretty much nothing! Where's our hype machine? :)

Unnecessary

Watching Facebook for a nugget of more info but nothing yet today.

Reminds me of the AMPLIFi release. Tons of hype when it turned out to not be exactly what the "discerning guitarist" was expecting. Now that the new products apparently are for the discerning guitarist, we get pretty much nothing! Where's our hype machine? :)

Haha, nobody wants to put poor Digital Igloo through that this time around. I think its better if they just say "new stuff is coming" and then we get to wait and see. Besides, obviously the marketing team over there was high on hyperbole last year. (REVOLUTIONARY with old, old, old amp models)

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to NAAM on Thursday and will give a report. Line 6 usually does NOT release new gear at NAAM shows. As a matter of fact, many times their booth is only for dealers, and has almost no demo units set up for examination.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm going to NAAM on Thursday and will give a report. Line 6 usually does NOT release new gear at NAAM shows. As a matter of fact, many times their booth is only for dealers, and has almost no demo units set up for examination.

They are now under new ownership, maybe this will change for the better.

rsm

IIRC "discerning guitarist" was a term used for TGP members, not that their products are targeted for the demographic - even though many discerning guitarists seem to use their products. :p

Edit: IDK about the AMPLIFi "hype" from last year's winter NAMM, though when first announced I was somewhat underwhelmed, but since then I've come to think it is a great concept. Don't know about the 75, 150 or TT but I have a FX100 inbound and will use it into my FRFR rig.

Last edited:

Squeakys

Reminds me of the AMPLIFi release. Tons of hype when it turned out to not be exactly what the "discerning guitarist" was expecting. Now that the new products apparently are for the discerning guitarist, we get pretty much nothing! Where's our hype machine?

It's 21st century marketing - Hype the ordinary and say nothing about the revolutionary.

3dognate

It's 21st century marketing - Hype the ordinary and say nothing about the revolutionary.

Considering that many a "discerning guitarist" sits their ass at home and plays no louder than the TV or suffers the wrath of a significant other...

The Amplifi hits on what many a cork sniffer actually needs and can still cause a fight if so desired.

The desktop unit looks like a cool ass practice tool..

I found the THR to be pretty awful, and am always surprised when I see it get so much credit here.

lol..I've owned three POD HD's (yes, three) and hated all three. I'm a glutton for punishment. Had the Amplifi for a day, sounded horrible. Like a digital muffled garbage. My Yamaha THR10X smokes anything I ever heard come out from the line 6 junk. My two cents. Hands down the best modelling box for the money. And I've owned both the Kemper and Axe FX II so not talking out of my ass.....I personally hope Yamaha ditches the crappy POD algorithms and builds upon the THR line instead. Only good tone I ever got from Line 6 was from my Bogner SpiderValve Mkii amp. Tubes...go figure ;-)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom