• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Line 6 and Yamaha at NAMM 2015

Those Yamaha THR amps sound really good.. imagine if they made a "Kemper-like" 100+ watt head.. that bundled all their THR stuff, plus some killer effects from yamaha/line-6 camps.. in a fully programmable & midi-controllable format.

I'd be the 1st the in line to buy one of those if the price was right.

But yeah, I'm hoping Yamaha with their immense $$ and research capability, eventually come out with something on the Fractal level.

Mangy71

It seems that the L6 and Digitech guys have both made it pretty clear that TGP members are not their target market. We can sit and wish for IR loading and a bunch of other things, but their market research shows that most of their potential customers don't even know what IR means.

They are capable of building a Kemper/Axe-Fx level processor, but they are worried that it would be a flop. Boss isn't going to compete with Strymon in the pedal category, and I don't think L6 or Digitech have any desire to compete with the KPA & Axe.

There isn't going to be a successor to the GSP-1101, and there isn't going to be an HD1000 for $1500. If you read between the lines it seems pretty clear to me, but every time NAMM rolls around, TGP goes wild with speculation and then gets disappointed when it doesn't happen.

:thud

rezidentura

It seems that the L6 and Digitech guys have both made it pretty clear that TGP members are not their target market. We can sit and wish for IR loading and a bunch of other things, but their market research shows that most of their potential customers don't even know what IR means.

They are capable of building a Kemper/Axe-Fx level processor, but they are worried that it would be a flop. Boss isn't going to compete with Strymon in the pedal category, and I don't think L6 or Digitech have any desire to compete with the KPA & Axe.

There isn't going to be a successor to the GSP-1101, and there isn't going to be an HD1000 for $1500. If you read between the lines it seems pretty clear to me, but every time NAMM rolls around, TGP goes wild with speculation and then gets disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Reality sure is a B%$^

I think the biggest problem Line 6 has is innovating without stangulating. By finding new products like Amplifi which fit a niche that maybe didn't exist before they don't cannibilize consumers from their other lines. I say look for more of this type of products this year.

Of course personaly I'd still love to see a Vetta HD flagship amp even though I know that won't be happening.

eriwebnerr

This is so true.

There are a few things that are worth considering though (as far as NAMM and modeling go):

1. There have been rumors for a while now about Yamaha working on a "higher end" modeling unit - so people are wondering with the acquisition how that work might manifest itself. Will there be a product that is more Yamaha with a L6 logo or the other way around

2. The JT Variax guitars have been significantly price cut with a rebate for several months now - Yamaha makes guitars, maybe something is up

3. The M series is seriously long in the tooth and the HD500X released an improved form factor. Also digital effects / pedals are pretty hot, so I would not be surprised to see updated algorithms with an updated form factor, where the effects can be ported to the HD500X

Just some thoughts

IRs have generated a ton of conversation at Line 6 (our existing cabs are IRs), and I attempted to gather more input here long ago. User IRs aren't likely to find their way into HD500X, though—1024-point is the lowest we'd be willing to go, and the DSP hit would cripple a large portion of the presets out there.

It's obviously something we've discussed for potential new products.

Fine if you are not going to implement IR loading but I find your logic flawed. If your existing cabs are IRs then you are obviously willing to accept less than 1024 samples. If you deem shorter IRs good enough for your internal cabs then why wouldn't they be good enough for 3rd party IRs? Sure, you would need to truncate Ownhammer IRs for instance, but it seems to work out just fine on the GSP1101.

I am currently running my HD500 through a Logidy Epsi. The improvement is incredible when using a single Ownhammer IR. Now, all the amps are usable to me on their default settings. Before getting the Epsi my HD500 was permanently parked in my closet...

3dognate

Hey... Digital Igloo.... How about a killer performing consumer/prosumer/professional In-Ear Monitor line from Line 6 to complement the already killer Relay series Wireless.

That's a product that needs some more competition in the market place. Shure and Sennheiser could stand a real competitor in the IEM space. You guys really did the Instrument Wireless line real justice.

Ringleader42

Fine if you are not going to implement IR loading but I find your logic flawed. If your existing cabs are IRs then you are obviously willing to accept less than 1024 samples. If you deem shorter IRs good enough for your internal cabs then why wouldn't they be good enough for 3rd party IRs? Sure, you would need to truncate Ownhammer IRs for instance, but it seems to work out just fine on the GSP1101.
Yep.

VCuomo

... there isn't going to be an HD1000 for $1500. If you read between the lines it seems pretty clear to me, but every time NAMM rolls around, TGP goes wild with speculation and then gets disappointed when it doesn't happen.

If this is a reference to my last post, please read it again. There was no speculation on my part that it would happen anytime soon (much less at this year's Winter NAMM), it was simply an observation that I believe it could be a viable product even at a +$1,000 price point. And if Line 6 never comes out with such a product, I won't be disappointed.

Electric I

Just because non-gearheads may not know what an IR is doesn't mean they wouldn't welcome & embrace the significant tonal benefit involved.

I also have an EPSi that I run with a G3 & even with the freeware stock cabs, the difference is noticeable.

The day that IR loading becomes a standard feature on all modelers will be a fine one indeed.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member

I think that answers the question right there. A GSP1101 may run IRs "just fine" with its hacked aftermarket firmware.....but I'm guessing that if Line 6 wants to add this feature, they want to exceed that bar, not meet it.

I mean, Line 6 gets slammed for cutting corners and cheaping out for products like the Amplifi line that recycle old engines, then when they say they refuse to add IR functionality if they can't do it right at full resolution, people slam them for not taking the shortcut that another competitor uses.

Is it any wonder they're not beholden to the whims of a vocal minority? I suggested this to Digital Igloo eons ago, but I think the move to make is to work WITH third party IR makers like Ownhammer, GuitarHack, and/or RedWirez and pack "custom", lower-res IRs from them in the factory firmware....the same way Guitar Rig 5 comes with a selection of licensed RedWirez or TSE X50 V2 comes with several collections from 4-5 different notable Internet guys. Having that "name brand" association would get a lot of the stigma out of using factory cabs.

RackFiz

Is it actually that Line 6 discounts TGP as a market...?

...or is it a lot of TGP members consider so highly of their understanding that Line 6 resides somewhere below their appreciation?

Let's be honest, most people here are snobs, not "tone snobs" as much as they are "brand name snobs".

partytrain

Line 6's facebook post:

"The year of the guitarist is coming. At the NAMM Show, we're pushing the boundaries of guitar innovation-get ready to expand your creativity like never before."

New Variax, here we come.

leftty

Introducing the Guitarist moddler, now you too can play like your favorite guitar player. Just dial up any of the 100 presets from our HD modeled guitarist like Page, Eddie Van Halen, Satch, Jimi and tons more.........

Digital Igloo

Let's be honest, most people here are snobs, not "tone snobs" as much as they are "brand name snobs".
I don't know how interesting this is, but internally, we call you guys "discerning guitarists". At least half of Line 6 would also consider themselves discerning guitarists.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom