Line 6 Catalyst - modeling Combo ....

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
Any idea if the 212 is stereo?
I don't think it is but I hope I'm wrong.

Edit to add - Reading thru the specs on Sweetwater's site leads me to believe it is not stereo. Bummer.

Last edited:

gonzoknife

I need to play one in person but it looks like it could be a contender. If they have a Fender model that's as good as the Tonemasters, these are a no brainer for a grab and go amp. IMHO the Fender Tonemasters are very overpriced and feature limited for what is a one model modeling amp.

I think a lot of players want this type of amp format and simplicity. They don't want big floorboards, FRFRs, menus, etc... Dial in and play. As modeling gets better these types of amps will become the standard. I would have killed for something like this instead of the little Gorilla amp I started with eons ago.

LaXu

Sort of a weird product... Same price range as the Spider series except a lot less featured with no mention of G10T support, limited to two effects, only a two button ftsw, etc. The draw over the Spiders would be that it has HX quality models, but it's rando generic models... I don't get it.

"Get our best HX modeling boutique combo amp, but we know we can't charge boutique prices so here you go for our practice amp price. Hopefully you try it next to some boutique amps at the store and decide it's cheap and good enough to buy into modeling."

Smells a little like a Yamaha-driven product...? It's basically a THD100 combo. And the Editor has knobs, apparently DI didn't get to have his hand in it with sliders.
I feel like I am completely done with the concept of "ooh look at the famous amps we model" that digital modeling has been built on. I was making some FM3 presets from scratch yesterday and was just increasingly less interested in what exact amp models I was going to use as long as the right sound came out of the unit. If the Fractal platform never received another amp model I would be totally good with that. There's a big pile of overlap in what is on offer already so for me the "more more more" does not appeal. Pare it down to what is unique instead.

Based on the videos Line6 has done a good job covering a nice range of sounds from clean to mean and everything in between. Adding two dozen more amp models to that doesn't necessarily make it better as having limitations and requiring you to work with what you have often helps you tweak less and play more.

I totally agree that the new amps are kind of like the THR combo that never was. It always made sense to me as something that is more giggable than the THR10/30. I guess instead of making that Yamaha agreed to put Line6 up to the task.

However the THR100HD was a higher end amp model. Brand new it was not cheap at all. Despite having a mere 4 amp models (a flat solid-state clean doesn't count) you could do a lot with those, the tube types in the back and blending the two channels. I still hope Yamaha (or Line6) revisits that concept because a stereo amp with stereo fx loops and blendable channels was a unique and cool product on the market only hampered by some design blunders and lack of software support.

UnderTheGroove

Silver Supporting Member
It has the power amp input selection, so it might make a good amp to pair with a modeler. It would also make a good backup solution. I didn't love the Nick Bowcott tones on the Sweetwater video, but the other tones seemed pretty good. I'm curious about the weight and what speaker it uses.

DanRad

Silver Supporting Member
HX Edit is not coming to mobile devices. The user would HAVE to also have the Camera Connection Kit for iOS, since there is no bluetooth in Helix.

None of the information we currently have mentions Bluetooth, only USB connectivity. And a USB-lightning cable is easy to find. I hook my iPad to my Helix all the time.

What does "Power attenuator (half power, 0.5 watts, Mute) for reduced volume" exactly mean in a solid state amp?
On Katana master volume affects the tone, like on a “real amp”, so, like on a “real amp” you use built-in “power attenuation” to be able to get the “cranked master tone” at lower volumes.

Bet it’s the same here, as it’s a blatant copy of Katana (not necessarily a bad thing)

DanRad

Silver Supporting Member
Hennings video does did! ;)

By the time I got here, that had already been pulled. But plenty of bandwidth over USB for an editor. Bluetooth shouldn't be a requirement (and, honestly, not sure I'd trust Bluetooth in a gig setting — do you really want someone with the app to be able to take over your amp mid-song?)

dronerstone

On Katana master volume affects the tone, like on a “real amp”, so, like on a “real amp” you use built-in “power attenuation” to be able to get the “cranked master tone” at lower volumes.

Bet it’s the same here, as it’s a blatant copy of Katana (not necessarily a bad thing)
I find the master knob on the Katana doesn't affect power amp clipping at all, it stays clean until the end of time, VERY similar to the colossal old tube amps that many of us love.

The thing I love about the power attenuation here is that it greatly affects the knob range. It doesn't double in volume when you move the knob one millimeter. ;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom