Line 6 Catalyst - modeling Combo ....

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
The 60 doesn't have midi ports. A USB host is a dumb solution. Buy the device with the features you need built in FFS.
Yeah, I’m a bit puzzled why someone would buy the 60W for $100 less than the 100W version only to have to turn around and buy a USB MIDI host box for $100… Plus the idea of using the USB B connection in a live setting makes me shudder… It’s not meant for that.

The 60 doesn't have midi ports. A USB host is a dumb solution. Buy the device with the features you need built in FFS.

images

Noob Tube

Yeah, I’m a bit puzzled why someone would buy the 60W for $100 less than the 100W version only to have to turn around and buy a USB MIDI host box for $100… Plus the idea of using the USB B connection in a live setting makes me shudder… It’s not meant for that.
Well I personally didn’t buy it. But others have and are not having success with all of the “solutions”. When you call the company and they can’t answer the question, that is definitely my fault.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Was finally able to sit down with a Catalyst 100 today at GC. Granted it was in the middle of GC, so not the best place to really put it through its paces, but I feel like I got the general picture based on owning and/or playing most of the competition at some point in the past.

That said, what I heard reminded me of my old Boss Nextone combo. The base sounds are there, but there is some sort of sonic footprint on the amp that makes it slightly unpleasant to play/hear. Something in the mids. "Cardboard" mids as I call it. It's like the modeling can't reproduce those frequencies close enough to a tube amp to trick my ear into them sounding "real." That sort of rolled over into the highs a bit as well.

The clean channel was pretty generic sounding. There was a guy playing a Tone Master Twin Reverb around the corner at the same time and it sounded much better in the big clean department by comparison. The Boutique channel was probably my favorite. It has some dynamics in it that I didn't hear in the other channels, but it got a little boxy as a turned the gain up.

The Chime channel was probably the biggest let down for me. I was really hoping for some chimey Vox-ish tones from that one, but just didn't hear it. Kind of the same for the Crunch channel, not much love there for me. The Dynamic channel perked my ears up a little. That had some of the magic I was hearing from the Boutique channel previously, but nothing to write home about. The High Gain channel sounded fine. Not my cup of tea really, so didn't focus much on it.

I think the hype got me on this one. Lots of glowing praise for it. I went in with high expectations and thought it was going to punch considerably above its weight class, but I didn't hear it. I guess it is kind of punching above to be in the ballpark with the Nextone, which is double the price if I remember correctly. But certainly no where near a nice tube amp. At home I'm playing a Kemper head/cab with M Britt profiles and was hoping it was somewhere near that quality. It was not.

Clearly with my corksniffery, I'm not the target demographic for this amp, but still, kudos to Line 6 to putting another viable amp out into the market at that price range. It will probably sell like hot cakes.

I forgot to mention, the effects were very non intuitive. This coming from a guy with years of experience navigating around Helix, Fractal and now Kemper UI's, getting to usable delays was a no go for me. I know I like the Simple Delay in the HX products, so I was trying to get there and adjust the mix/feedback a little, but it just wasn't happening, even after following the steps on the topper thing. Gave up on it and just listened to the base sounds minus effects. I guess with the app that it is probably easier, but not on the amp.
I agree with you and I felt exactly the same way on all points at first. After spending a full week with the amp I have figured out the tone stack and gotten a few decent sounds out of it. I have also tried it with pedals in front (works ok) and as a powered speaker with my FM3*. The latter works ok but you are stuck with the sound of the amp/speaker combo. Overall the inability to tweak the overall eq, the boost function, no way to change essential effect parameters from the panel, and no built-in pedal effects like comp or dirt limit its tweakbility. I too hear the “cardboard” mids which I think get slightly better the more you turn up the master volume (go ahead and try it). I guess at it’s price point that’s the target demographic so from that perspective it works. It just seems like with a little more work it could really be something awesome and could be more appealing to both the bedroom player and the pro gigger alike. Honestly I am still up in the air about it. I had it all packed up and ready to go back but the glowing posts in this thread made me want to give it another chance. I have done that and I am still thinking about sending it back and swapping it for a Mk2 Katana. I already owned the Mk1 100 and I even have the foot controller so it’s a known quantity. The thing is I want to like the Cat because I really dig Line 6 and I want to support them. I feel like there could be updates to this in the future that could address some of these issues but like the PodGo, it depends on how much wiggle room they have left themselves. I guess time will tell. The question is do I get off here or take the ride?

Edit: See below about powered speaker with FM3.

Last edited:

VaThump

Well I personally didn’t buy it. But others have and are not having success with all of the “solutions”.
Customer support on this question is one thing. And, yeah, I'd go for the 100 for MIDI switching.

But I haven't seen any evidence on this thread that anyone has been unsuccessful switching the 60 with a MIDI pedal that acts as a USB host

Last edited:

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Ok I tried this again and it actually is a ton of fun running the FM3 into the power amp in. It is limiting but with a tiny bit of output eq it sounds pretty great and I can see why Cordy said he won't we using FRF anymore. Now I am off to see if I can setup a dual path so I can run the DI to FOH from the FM3 with full IR while feeding the Cat without a cab....

thrashmetl

Ok I tried this again and it actually is a ton of fun running the FM3 into the power amp in. It is limiting but with a tiny bit of output eq it sounds pretty great and I can see why Cordy said he won't we using FRF anymore. Now I am off to see if I can setup a dual path so I can run the DI to FOH from the FM3 with full IR while feeding the Cat without a cab....

Do you have a global output EQ setting that seems to work for everything or do you dial it in for each amp in the FM3?

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Just a little high shelf cut at 5000k on the global eq. Maybe 1.7 db.

The only bummer about doing the dual output thing is you have to put the cab after the effects but as it turns out it sounds fine.

Noob Tube

Customer support on this question is one thing. And, yeah, I'd go for the 100 for MIDI switching.

But I haven't seen any evidence on this thread that anyone has been unsuccessful switching the 60 with a MIDI pedal that acts as a USB host
I get it. But the question was asked. Why are so many people…

kartikg3

I think this amp was made to just plug and play and not mess with midi/usb stuff as far as to change parameters...you guys are wanting this to be way more then it is.
You mean just the Cat 60 right? Because the other models have midi in. I appreciate that Line 6 still gave the Cat 60 a possibility of midi by giving midi over USB if anyone needs the functionality as an afterthought. And hey sometimes everyone can't afford the next bigger model even if it is "just $100 more". $100 more in one country could be $150 more in another country.

In terms of midi functionality I think L6 has packed a lot of midi possibilities into the entire Catalyst range, which is really appreciated.

rd2rk

Silver Supporting Member
I think this amp was made to just plug and play and not mess with midi/usb stuff as far as to change parameters...you guys are wanting this to be way more then it is.

I think that the 60 was made (as far as MIDI control goes) for home users whose amp would be close enough to a computer that the computer could act as host to a MIDI controller. Heck, even a tablet or smart phone would work. In this way a dirt cheap FCB1010 or L6 FBV could be used for MIDI control.
IOW - the CAPABILITY for MIDI control is there.

The 100 OTOH was equipped for the performing musician to simply plug in their controller and go.
BTW, it works great with MIDI from my Helix - sounds great too!

DallasD

Silver Supporting Member
I did some A/B comparisons between the Cat100 and an Iridium (no IR) with simple power amp and 1x12 cab w/ A-Type speaker. There is just something I don't like with the note decay and the midrange on the Cat100 that I'm unable to get along with. The comments about cardboard or paper tear is a good way to describe it. For what its worth, I prefer the Kemper and FM3 over the Helix/Stomp so it could just be the modeling or amp behavior that I'm not getting along with (again).

The Cat100 is going back to GC this week. I do think this is a worthy competitor to the Katana and it'll do well for L6.

MrTAteMyBalls

I did some A/B comparisons between the Cat100 and an Iridium (no IR) with simple power amp and 1x12 cab w/ A-Type speaker. There is just something I don't like with the note decay and the midrange on the Cat100 that I'm unable to get along with. The comments about cardboard or paper tear is a good way to describe it. For what its worth, I prefer the Kemper and FM3 over the Helix/Stomp so it could just be the modeling or amp behavior that I'm not getting along with (again).

The Cat100 is going back to GC this week. I do think this is a worthy competitor to the Katana and it'll do well for L6.

I would be interested to hear it with a different speaker. It could be a speaker issue. Or something else. Who knows. I have a Helix LT and when I need stage sound I plug into the back of a Katana 100 effects return with cab/IR blocks turned off. Sounds great and it is a really compact rig.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Supposedly they went through a long process of speaker testing. I agree that there is probably a better speaker for it but 4 ohm is kind of limiting.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom