Line 6 DL-4 or Boss DD-20?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ecbluesman54, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

What do you all prefer between these two delay pedals, and why? I am looking to put one of them on a pedalboard I am working on. I have some experience with the DL-4, and Line 6 stuff in general. I am just looking for some thought to push me in the right direction, or for anything I haven't thought of.
    Thanks for the help!

2. macgill

macgill Member

I've owned both and I prefer the DD-20. It doesn't have the volume drop the Line 6 does (I've heard you can cure this with a mod though) and you don't have to carry a cheat sheet around to remember what "tweak" and "tweez" do for each delay model. I always found that really annoying about the Line 6.

The controls on the DD-20 are self-explanatory and the LCD lets you dial in precise settings if you need to, which I love. But if you prefer to just tap a tempo in it has that as well, and it's really not that annoying to hold the right switch down for a couple seconds to access that feature. The DD-20 also has one more available preset, plus the manual setting, so there are effectively 5 different delays available at the click of a footswitch as opposed to 3 with the Line 6. Plus I just think it sounds better.

The DD-20 isn't true bypass like the Line 6, so some folks would prefer the Line 6 for that reason alone. Again, I like that the DD-20 isn't true bypass. I put it at the end of my signal chain and because it's a buffered pedal it sends a bit stronger signal to my amp. It's maybe not the best buffer in the world but it does the job.

Hope that helps. It's really a matter of preference, but that's why I prefer the DD-20. They're both great multi-purpose delays.

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks for the detailed response macgill. I really appreciate it.
    I should mention I have a DL-4 that has the Keeley mod done to it, but I am interested in the DD-20 for many of the reasons you listed.

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Honestly, I can't stand the Line 6. :) hehe Some people swear by them, and more power to them for getting good sounds out of it. But I think the DD20 is much better soundwise.

Some others in the same type of category:

Line 6 Echo Park....sounds way better than the DL4, IMHO. No presets but cheaper than the DD20 and DL4.

Eventide Timefactor and Damage Control Timeline if price isn't an issue. ;) (I wink because price is definitely an unfortunate issue for me.)

5. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

I know that everyone and their brother seems to have had problems with the quality of the DL-4 but I've had 5 of them and nothing ever went wrong with them. I got rid of them because I felt like I had too many options to choose from live. I absolutely LOVE the Echo Park. The options are there if you need them and it's small.